Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

An international student is a student living in Canada or abroad, that does not have Canadian citizenship, a permanent resident card or refugee status in Canada, and may need a study permit to study in Canada. Students studying for less than 6 months do not need a study permit. For more information regarding international students, please contact the International Student Office at


The International Education department has two student advisors who work with our international student population. The easiest way to reach them is by email –


Programs that accept international students can be found on the Programs and Tuition link. 


Step-by-step instructions to apply to Saskatchewan Polytechnic can be found on the steps to apply link.

Be sure to read up on Learning in Saskatchewan items of interest in Saskatchewan Polytechnic and Saskatchewan. 


The majority of students use IELTs to meet their English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements. Students can meet ELP in a number of ways. Ensure you are familiar with ELP before you apply.


For programs with a September intake, complete your application by May 1 to ensure consideration for programs beginning in September. If you choose to apply after May 1, please remember that combined processing times (Saskatchewan Polytechnic and CIC) may not give you enough time to begin studies in the fall. 

After May 1, international students will be unable to apply for several programs that have been filled with a waitlist. Applications for these programs will reopen in mid-September for the next September intake.

As many of our programs fill up quickly, please apply far in advance of our deadlines. We begin accepting applications in September for programs that start in September of the following year. 

For those programs with January intakes, you should apply by October 1.


No. Colour scanned copies (PDF format is preferred) are acceptable for the initial application/assessment phase. If you are accepted you will be asked to provide the originals for verification when you register for classes. If you have post-secondary transcripts, you may also be asked to have originals sent to us directly from the granting institution. After you apply you can prepare by arranging for your granting institution to send the documents to:
Saskatchewan Polytechnic, Saskatoon Campus, Idylwyld Dr.
Registration Services, International Admissions
Box 1520
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
S7K 3R5


Yes, this is a requirement to have your transcripts assessed. Saskatchewan Polytechnic can assess many qualifications but for transcripts or documents not in English or documents that do not clearly state your achievement level, you must ensure that they are translated and notarized. You will need to submit both the notarized copy and the original.


Tuition at Saskatchewan Polytechnic varies from program to program. International students’ tuition is generally higher than the domestic rate on the program information page. Visit our International Program and Tuition page to see what programs accept international students and the approximate tuition.



All other programs start students in the fall.




  • Go to the Programs and Tuition for International Students web page.
  • Scroll down to the programs section.
  • Within the credential dropdown list, choose the post-graduate certificate option.
  • A list of the available post-graduate certificate programs will show in the table below.


International students are eligible for all achievement scholarships available during their studies at Saskatchewan Polytechnic. Currently, there are no entrance scholarships available for internationals students. For information please visit Student Awards.


No. Please visit the Saskatchewan Polytechnic Housing Registry for a list of accommodation options.

Canada Homestay Network is pleased to offer homestay to Saskatchewan Polytechnic students studying in Saskatoon. Live with a Canadian family while you complete your studies, learn about Canadian culture, and make lifelong friends. Upon acceptance at Saskatchewan Polytechnic, complete the online application.


Yes, but there are conditions. Please review the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website for details.


Yes! For more information regarding the post-graduation work permit program please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. 


There are many ways to come to Saskatchewan either temporarily or permanently. Learn about the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) and other options for immigrating.


Yes! As an international student, you can access to support services that include:

  • arrival orientation
  • pre-departure preparations

As a Saskatchewan Polytechnic student, you can access student services. Some of the services include:

  • accommodation
  • bookstores
  • counselling
  • child care
  • employment
  • food
  • health
  • learning
  • parking and transit


Yes! In Saskatchewan, health insurance is free with proof of a study permit.


As is the case everywhere, the cost of living varies according to an individual's lifestyle. The average cost of living for a student (excluding tuition and learning material costs) is approximately $1,250 CDN per month.

Approximate expenses per academic year are:
  • Accommodation, utilities and food: $9,200
  • local transportation: $600
  • clothing: $700
  • computer labs, typing, duplicating: $250


Yes! In addition to tutors, Saskatchewan Polytechnic has a variety of services for students. Contact Learning Services for more information.

As a student, you can also access many other services offered at Saskatchewan Polytechnic, such as - access counselling services, conversational partners, students' association assistance and connections to external volunteer organizations.