Get credit at another post-secondary education institution for programs or courses taken at Sask Polytech.  There are two types of transfer credit:

  1. Block transfer credit (or advanced standing) is when a Sask Polytech program counts for a block of credit into an advanced program that is closely related. 
    • Additional bridging courses may be required. Bridging courses are completed prior to admission or after conditional admission, usually in the first year.
  2. Course transfer credit is when single Sask Polytech courses are transferable to another institution’s program(s).
    • Equivalent courses cover similar content at the same or higher level with equal or greater credit units.
    • Course transfer is more common between related programs (e.g., between two human service programs).
  • Block credit: the Justice Studies diploma (with minimum GPA of 2.0) is accepted for two year’s credit toward Lethbridge College’s Bachelor of Applied Arts in Justice Studies.
  • Course transfer credit: HUMD 188, Human Growth and Development course at Sask Polytech, is accepted for transfer credit for University of Regina’s PSYC 210, Developmental Psychology


  • Are admitted to a program.
    • Most, if not all, institutions do not grant transfer credit until you are admitted. Sask Polytech has transfer agreements with some institutions, final decisions, however, are made only after you have been admitted.

  • Receive your prior education from a recognized or authorized institution.
    • An institution must be recognized or authorized for credits to be transferable. Public institutions (e.g., Sask Polytech) are recognized. A few private institutions are authorized. Most private institutions are registered so courses are typically not transferable. Find the status of Canadian institutions and consider that when choosing a program.

  • Meet the minimum grade point average.
    • Some programs require a minimum grade point average (GPA) for block credit or post-diploma admission because applicants with lower GPAs may not succeed in advanced courses. Minimum GPAs vary by program, so look carefully.

  • Have an accredited program (for some programs).
    • In many post-diploma health or technology degree programs, the diploma program must be accredited by an industry standards organization (e.g., TAC or CTAB). Read admission requirements carefully.

  • Have completed your program or courses within the required time limit.
    • Some institutions set a time limit for transfer credit (e.g., a program or courses must have been completed within the last seven years).


Transfer credit varies widely across institutions, so read information and directions carefully. Here are some common elements to look for:


  • Many institutions have online searchable databases of approved transfer credit from other institutions. They may also have academic advisors to answer questions.


  • There may be no additional charge to assess a certificate or diploma for block credit (advance standing) or admission. Many institutions, however, charge fees for course transfer assessment.

International education:

  • An IQAS or WES assessment may be required to indicate equivalency of an international credential to a Canadian certificate, diploma, or degree in the same field. Transfer credit fees may also be higher for studies completed outside of Canada.

Residency limit:

  • Most institutions limit how much of a program can be completed with transfer credit. The portion that must be completed with courses taken from the program’s institution (e.g., 25 - 50 per cent) may be referred to as a “residency requirement”. Residency, in this context, typically includes courses taken either by distance or on-campus.

Use School Finder to identify potential programs that fit your desired field, credential level and delivery method (online, on-campus, blended, co-op, etc.).

Review the lists of transfer credit agreements by partner institution and/or program name.

  • If there is an agreement in place for your desired program/school, ask your program head for updates and details about the transfer credit agreement. Some agreements require a minimum grade point average (GPA) to receive block credit.

All institutions asses transfer credit for individual applicants, even without a transfer agreement with Sask Polytech.

  1. Go to the institution’s home page and type transfer credit in the search bar.

  2. Look for a searchable database of transfer credit. If there is one, search for Saskatchewan Polytechnic (or SIAST). A Sask Polytech course or program will not be listed if it has not been assessed before, but you can still request transfer credit for it.

  3. Look for and carefully read directions and forms. They may differ for course transfer, block credit or advanced standing. Terms used may also vary across institutions.

  4. If the institution has an academic advisor, contact them with any questions.
  1. Apply for admission to the school and program you chose.

  2. Submit your Sask Polytech transcript when you apply for admission.

  3. Look for directions to submit a transfer credit form, course outlines, or fees (if required). Follow those directions to apply for transfer credit.

  4. Please email the details of any transfer credit you receive to your program head and to If we can track the trails you blaze, other students can follow.

Contact us