Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) Testing
CWB testing is available at Saskatchewan Polytechnic in Prince Albert, Regina and Saskatoon.
Photo ID must be presented to the examiner on the day of testing. You must present a valid CWB card when performing a check test.
Please ensure your attendance to the selected test date, as fees are non-refundable.
Individuals are responsible for providing and/or wearing leather gloves, non flammable clothing, safety glasses, steel toe boots and welding helmet/shield as well as provide personal grinders, buffing wheel and bead brushes.
For more information contact:
SMAW All Position Test
- Test is on two 3/8" by 6" long plate with a ¼" x 2" x 6- 8" backing strip.
- 1/8" E7018 electrode is used for all positions.
- Tacking is done with the GMAW process. Preferred tacking: 4 tacks on back, 4 on backing bar end, face side. Max tack length 10mm.
- Make sure there is no gap to the backing bar.
- Flat, vertical and overhead require a ½" gap while horizontal is only 5/16"
- There will be two tie-ins at 1 ½" from each edge. The inspector will mark out. You must show your stops and starts before proceeding.
- The horizontal position has one tie-in only, on the top bevel side.
- Your direction of welding can change throughout the coupon except in the vertical position. It must all be done in a vertical up position.
- Stringer beads only. The vertical cap only can be weaved.
- All welding and cleaning is done in position.
- No set amount of passes required for filling.
- You have 45 minutes to weld each coupon.
- No grinding is permitted.
- Power buffers, chisels, picks, chipping hammers and wire brushes are all acceptable cleaning methods.
- All caps must pass visual inspection. No more than 1/8" exceeding the base material in height and no more than a ¼" in width of the original opening.
- An individual 1/8" defect or greater is considered a failure.
- Porosity may result in a failure.
- Do not over grind. It is preferable to leave a little extra than take too much.
- Gouging should not remove welded material.
- Radius edges of each coupon with the grinder before bending.
- If a coupon fails, a retest of that position may be granted at examiners discretion.
- Once coupons have received a pass they will go into the scrap bin. No loitering especially around the bend test area! Do not retrieve passed coupons from scrap bin.
- Spray transfer recommended.
- Same test criteria as SMAW procedures.
- Combination flat groove, horizontal fillet is common transferable test.
- Volts are approximately 24-27 with a wire speed of approximately 510-525.
- Must have SMAW all position ticket, no exceptions even for pressure tickets.
- After 2 years a check test can be done instead of doing all positions.
- All information for the basic test still applies.
- Coupon has ½" gap and is done in vertical and overhead positions.
- Vertical up root is done on the square side with a tie in.
- Overhead root is done on the bevel side with a tie in.
- Remaining part of coupon is all done in the overhead position.
- If a fracture exceeding 1/8 is present or coupon is considered a fail both vertical and overhead plates must be completed.