Saskatchewan Polytechnic is your source for provincial training standards. Our Standardized Contractor Safety Training courses are developed in partnership with the Saskatchewan Mining Association (SMA) and their member companies to provide common provincial training standards for contractors working at a number of SMA member sites.
For contractors, this means one set of training standards for a number of SMA member sites, reducing repetitive training, saving time and facilitating mobility.
For SMA member companies, it’s assurance that contractor employees have the knowledge and training necessary to keep work sites safe.
Access to training records is province-wide.
General Mine Safety Awareness certification and recertification
This type of training is delivered in person at the providers training location. The following companies are approved trainers that are available to provide the training.
- Proactive 306-543-6108 in Regina
Frequently asked questions
How do I register and pay for the course?
When can I access my online course?
You should receive the letter that contains your username and password within one business day after registration. You should have access to take the 14 hour course within one business day after registration. If you register on a Friday or a holiday weekend please note that there is no one in the office on the weekends or statutory holidays so this is going to delay processing for up to three business days before participants receive access to the online course. If you have a unique urgent situation please reach out to email@example.com
This is what you can expect after registration:
- Saskatchewan Polytech Account Information Email – This email will be sent to the student's personal email address. It contains your username and password information which will allow you to login to mysaskpolytech.ca. Once you have logged in you will be able to begin your course on Brightspace.
- Confirmation of Enrollment – Official confirmation of enrollment that will contain additional information about tax forms, troubleshoot links, etc. This information is available to you for viewing at mysaskpolytech.ca.
What if I don't receive the email with my username and password?
- Monitor the email account that you registered with and also any junk or spam folders associated with that account.
- Previous Students: Your Sask Polytech username and password is only emailed out once every 365 days. If you have registered for any course recently, please check previous communications and use these login credentials.
- If you need assistance:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have your username and password, but find it is not working. You can also visit the Online Learning Support page for more information.
- Contact registration if you do not receive a letter with your username and password.
- Saskatoon – (306) 659-4800
- Regina – (306) 775-7301
- Moose Jaw – (306) 691-8383
- Prince Albert – (306) 765-1600
- Out-of-town callers – 1-866-467-4278
Can the process to receive the log-in credential email be expedited for emergency work situations?
Where do I find my online course content?
To learn about the online components of your course, view this link and bookmark this page for when you receive your mySaskPolytech account information.
Go to mysaskpolytech.ca and enter the username and password provided in the third email.
Click on myCourses.
Click on the square symbol at the top and type in SFTY-1820 General Mine Safety Awareness into the search bar.
Your Course code will start with SFTY-1820 General Mine Safety Awareness and once you choose that you will be directed to IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE READ. Please ensure you read all notices.
On the left had side of the page there is a link to How to Use Sask Polytech Online Courses and you will want to take note of Section 1 – Navigation to learn how to find your course content.
How do I print my self-serve wallet card?
After successful completion of the final exam please click on the CONTENT tab in the online course and scroll to the bottom to see link to Wallet Card and Survey
Click on that link and card will open to the side in same window – you will need to scroll up to see this:
Please follow instructions and ensure you both save and/or print your wallet card.
NOTE: no other wallet card will be sent to you. Future access to the card will involve you logging back into mySaskPolytech to re-access your course.
When does my certification expire?
This certification is valid for five years from the date of completion. Recertification will be available through registration in an online exam offered through General Mine Safety Awareness Recertification (SFTY-1822).
How do I register an employee and pay for their course?
View information on sponsoring an employee. The preferred course CRN and start date (term) for SFTY-1820 or SFTY – 1822 are required
Who can obtain information about an employee's registration and progress?
If you anticipate that you will want to discuss employees’ registrations with Saskatchewan Polytechnic staff and faculty, you will require your employees to sign a Consent to Release Information. This form is available here and when required can be emailed to email@example.com.
This course is an eight-hour theory session followed by a minimum of 8 hours of lift truck operation. To receive certification, applicants are required to demonstrate knowledge of lift trucks for pre-operation and operation. Operating time and examination will be given on a lift truck. Certification required applicants to complete a written and driving examination.
Length: 16 hours
Cost: $680 plus GST
WHMIS (GHS) 2015
Standardized safety training
Finance (billing inquiries only)