Dental assistants play many roles, from chair-side assisting to client education to office reception. It’s a client-focused, team-based work environment. This makes attention to detail, commitment to high standards, good decision-making skills and good communication skills a must.
As part of a dental team, you’ll assist dentists, dental hygienists and dental therapists in the provision of quality care either in private dental practices or in various community-based settings such as health care or educational institutions.
International applicants are not currently considered for admission to this program.
Sask Polytech's nationally accredited, one-year Dental Assisting certificate program is offered at Saskatchewan Polytechnic Regina campus. You’ll learn from experienced instructors using up-to-date dental equipment and techniques. You’ll develop knowledge and skills in:
- providing chair-side support for diagnostic, assessment, restorative and specialty procedures
- performing intra-oral procedures as specified by Saskatchewan legislation
- performing business and reception procedures
- counselling patients in regard to maintaining oral health
Hands-on learning in the dental clinic at the Regina campus is a highlight of the program. The clinic gives you a chance to gain clinical experience each week practicing your skills and building your confidence under the supervision of licensed professionals. You’ll also participate in three weeks of clinical experiences, each one giving you on-the-ground training in an actual dental practice.
- 65 students are accepted each year.
- As a student, you will experience a combination of classroom, clinical in the on-campus Dental Clinic, as well as and lab instruction along with practicum placements.
- Class hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. daily with 30-40 hours of homework each week outside of class time.
- Lab courses involve instructor demonstration, hands-on participation and peer group activities.
- Regular attendance is expected, as well as active participation in group work and effective course management.