Get Credit for What You Know

Get Credit for What You Know

Do you have prior education, work experience and/or job training that relates to your program area? If so, you could be eligible for credit that reduces your study time and cost. Credit can also be applied from your Sask Polytech program to another institution. 

Canadian Armed Forces credit

Canadian Armed Forces credit

For documented military training for regular or reservist members.  

Equivalency credit

Equivalency and dual credit

For Sask Polytech courses already taken as dual credit in high school, at a regional college, at a Sask Polytech campus or by distance education.

PLAR credit

Prior learning assessment and recognition credit (PLAR)

For proving what you know, no matter how you learned it. 


Transfer credit to another institution

Transfer credit to another institution 

For transferring Sask Polytech credit to another post-secondary institution.


Transfer credit

Transfer credit to Sask Polytech

For courses taken at another post-secondary institution or for certified government or industry training.



1. Do you want to transfer your Sask Polytech credits or program to another institution?


2. Have you completed courses from another college, university or technical institute?


3. Have you completed any certified, standard training (e.g. , Food Safety)?


4. Have you completed any Sask Polytech (SIAST) courses by distance, on campus at a regional college or through dual credit in high school?

5. Do you have work experience, job training or life learning related to your chosen program?


6. Are you a current or former member of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), regular or reservist?



1. Course load and attendance

Credit for prior learning may reduce your course load and attendance. Full-time or part-time student status in each semester is a common requirement for study permits, student loans, funding sponsorship, child care subsidies, student housing, etc. Reduced attendance may also affect a living allowance provided by a sponsor or eligibility for a post-graduation work permit.

  • It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not fall below the required student status in any semester and lose eligibility for funding or services.
  • Check directly with the source (Immigration Canada, funding agency, daycare, housing agency, etc.) for any eligibility criteria related to student status and attendance.
  • International students need to carefully consider conditions for their study permit and criteria for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. Consulting with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant is recommended before seeking transfer or PLAR credit.
  • At Sask Polytech, 25 course hours per week is 100 per cent course load and attendance. Full-time and part-time student status are calculated as follows:
    Without a disability

    At least 15 hours for every week of study (60 per cent) is required for full-time status

    Between 5 hours (20 per cent) and 14.99 hours for every week of study is required for part-time status

    With a disability

    At least 10 hours for every week of study (40 per cent) is required for full-time status

    Between 5 hours (20 per cent) and 9.99 hours for every week of study is required for part-time status

2. Grade point average (GPA)

Prior learning credit are typically non-numeric grades (TC or CR) that are not calculated into your GPA. See  Policy 1208 Grading System and Student Promotion (pdf). A GPA below 60 per cent puts you at risk of discontinuation and/or not meeting graduation requirements.

If you are at risk or want to compete for scholarships, consult with your program head. On one hand, retaking a familiar course may raise your GPA. On the other hand, credit for prior learning may free up time to earn better grades in other courses.



Thinking of attending Sask Polytech? Contact

Already a student at Sask Polytech? Contact your program head

Not sure who your program head might be? Contact

Not a Sask Polytech grad but are considering PLAR for a course or block of courses?