Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) and Medical Radiologic Technology (MRT) Program Selection Process Guide for Applicants
Selection process guide Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) and Medical Radiologic Technology (MRT). These programs are designated as competitive admissions and has specific selection criteria in addition to specified admission requirements.
Selection criteria are used as the basis to rank eligible applicants where there are more applicants applying to a high-demand program than there are places available.
Applicants are scored against the selection criteria. Selection of applicants will occur in two phases.
Admission averages is used to determine the applicants who progress to Phase 2 (based on the highest admission averages). Admission averages will not be used in the Phase 2 process.
Phase 2Additional selection criteria is applied to applicants with the highest averages from Phase 1. Each component of the Phase 2 selection process is weighted as given below:
|Relevant Post-Secondary Education||10%|
|Essay of Traits||40%|
Application & Selection Process
Applicants must submit the Essay of Traits and Awareness Questionnaire by the application deadline to be included in the selection process.
8. Phase 2 final weighting is determined.
9. Top-ranked applicants are sent a letter of offer for a seat in the program.
Selection is made based on Phase 2 results.
Phase 2 Scoring Model
|Component A: Relevant post-secondary education||Maximum = 10|
|Component B: Essay of Traits||Maximum = 40|
|Component C: Situational Assessment||Maximum = 50|
|Total:||Maximum = 100|
Essay of Traits – Applicant's Guidelines for Composition
Applicants will compose an Essay of Traits using information gained through the career investigation (using resources that should include, but are not limited to, internet searches, program material and interviews with professionals presently working in the field).
Submit an electronic version by email as an attachment to email@example.com.
In the subject line of your electronic submission please include the following:
- Last name, First name
- Program you are applying to
- Essay of Traits Report
Example: Last name, First name - (program) Essay of Traits Report
Note: Applicants should refer to the Essay of Traits Scoring Rubric (see link below) for specific details required to complete the Essay of Traits Report. The information contained in the scoring rubric defines the expectations and associated criteria used to determine the overall score. This information is provided in order to assist applicants in developing their report in a manner that meets or exceeds the standards that the Selection Committee has established.
Plagiarism detection software may be used in the assessment of the Essay of Traits Report.
Completing the Awareness Questionnaire is a process of providing information about one's thoughts, feelings, past experiences, and future plans. This questionnaire is concerned with the extent you are aware of and are prepared to meet the challenges and demands of the program and profession. The Awareness Questionnaire will not be scored, but is integral to the selection process.
If any portion of the Awareness Questionnaire form is incomplete, the career investigation will be considered incomplete and you will be excluded from the selection process.
All successful Phase 2 applicants to the Medical Laboratory Technology and Medical Radiologic Technology programs at Saskatchewan Polytechnic are required to complete an online assessment, CASPer®, to assist with our admissions selection process. CASPer® is an online test that assesses for personal and professional characteristics that we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program.
Applicants moving forward to Phase 2 of the selection process will be required to complete a Situational Assessment (CASPer® test). Phase 2 applicants will be able to sign up for the CSP-10202-Canadian Undergraduate Health Sciences test and reserve their test date and time using their Saskatchewan Polytechnic Student ID number and a piece of government-issued photo ID. A limited number of testing dates and times will be provided at that time.
Applicants will be able to direct any inquiries about the test to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order for your application to be processed all of the following must be completed and submitted:
- Complete the Saskatchewan Polytechnic application form.
- Submit transcripts (all high school and applicable post-secondary). Transcripts must be sent directly from the educational institution to Saskatchewan Polytechnic Enrolment Services prior to the Phase 1 deadline date.
- Submit a completed Essay of Traits Report to Enrolment Services in PDF format before the application deadline, to email@example.com.
- Submit an Awareness Questionnaire to Enrolment Services before the application deadline (electronic submission only).
- Enclose the Saskatchewan Polytechnic application fee with the application.
All required components and documents listed above must be submitted by the deadline in order to be considered for Phase 2 of the selection process.
- Applicants must submit the Essay of Traits and Awareness Questionnaire by the application deadline to be included in the selection process.
- Enrolment Services will send Letters of Offer to successful Phase 2 applicants by early to mid-April.
- Once notified, Phase 2 applicants must complete a Situational Assessment through CASPer® within specific timelines. You will be directed to https://takecasper.com/ to register your CASPer account and sign up for your assessment.
- Applicants on the Phase 2 alternate waitlist will remain on the list until mid-September.