Are you interested in design and website development, interactive media, digital marketing, computer graphics? Do you have a creative mind, good problem-solving skills, enjoy working with computer software and hardware?
With technology literally reinventing the way we do things (think mobile, 3D printing, social media), now is a great time to turn your interest into a career. Saskatchewan Polytechnic offers a two-year Interactive Design and Technology (IDT) diploma program.
The Interactive Design and Technology program is offered full-time at Saskatchewan Polytechnic Regina Campus and Saskatchewan Polytechnic Saskatoon Campus, with some courses available online through distance learning.
In the first year, you'll get an overall foundation in:
- professional practices
- design principles and processes
- web page design and development
- raster and vector graphic creation and editing
- writing for social and interactive media
- photography, audio and video
In the second year, you'll build your skills in:
- management principles, analytics and usability studies
- self-promotion and digital marketing
- interactive authoring
- customizing Content Management Systems (CMS)
You choose one of the following specialties:
You will learn the skills needed to create interesting and effective graphic solutions for websites and interactive media.
- contemporary graphic design styles
- user interface design
- advanced raster and vector graphic skills
You will develop competence in building and implementing dynamically driven custom websites such as electronic catalogues and e-commerce solutions.
- database design, database management systems (DBMS) and Structured Query Language (SQL)
- server-side scripting, methods, functions
- client-side scripting and asynchronous web applications
At Saskatchewan Polytechnic, You Learn By Doing
You'll spend the majority of class time learning how to use the tools of the trade and applying your creative, problem-solving skills to assignments. You'll build practical skills in several self-directed projects and by participating in either a work experience or client-directed project.
Build Your Portfolio Online
You'll gain practical experience through online portfolio development. When you graduate, you should have your own domain, a professional presence and an online portfolio, showcasing your best work.