Youth Care Worker (Part-time studies)School of Human Services and Community Safety Diploma
- Visit Flexible Learning for course information and online registration
- Register to PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition); get credit for what you know, by contacting Suong Polley at 306-659-4908 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Marilyn Philipchuk at 306-659-4903 or email@example.com
Does a career of working one-on-one with young people interest you? Check out the Youth Care Worker program at Saskatchewan Polytechnic. You’ll find two options: the one-year certificate or the two-year diploma. Whichever you choose, you’ll need a steady personality, strong listening skills, compassion and respect for others.
Graduates of the two-year diploma program are qualified for jobs as family support workers, group home staff, program coordinators or community outreach workers in a variety of educational, residential, social services or community-based agencies.
The two-year Youth Care Worker diploma program is offered through distance education. Qualified instructors will help you build on knowledge and skills developed in the Youth Care Worker certificate program. You’ll learn more about:
- abnormal psychology
- agency administration and community development
- conflict resolution and small group facilitation
- cultural diversity and family systems
- individual assessment and development of case plans
- sexual victimization
- therapeutic intervention strategies and suicide prevention
Practical, Real-World Learning
You’ll participate in two extended work-based practicums. You’ll get hands-on experience implementing individual client programs, facilitating established agency programs, carrying out basic administrative functions and managing client education sessions. It’s an opportunity to build your professional skills while enhancing your own personal growth.
Get a Degree
Use your Youth Care Worker diploma to transfer into third year of the Bachelor of Applied Arts in Justice Studies at Lethbridge College in Alberta.
CoursesGroup Facilitation (HUMR-281CE)
Psychology A (PSYC-188CE)
Youth Care Worker Diploma Integration Seminar 1 (SEM-105CE)
Youth Care Practices 2 (YCW-281CE)
Conflict Resolution (YCW-285CE)
Practicum 1 (PRAC-398CE)
Culture and Diversity (CLTR-180CE)
Suicide Intervention (COUN-180CE)
Psychology B (PSYC-189CE)
Youth Care Worker Diploma Integration Seminar 2 (SEM-200CE)
Youth Criminal Justice (SPSY-184CE)
Abnormal Psychology (SPSY-290CE)
Sexual Victimization (YCW-283CE)
Practicum 2 (PRAC-399CE)