Fiber Optics Training
- The only Fiber Optic Association (FOA) certified Fiber Optic Training course in Saskatchewan.
- Fully transferable towards credit in the Telecommunications Networking Technician program.
- Students who complete the final exam with 70% or higher are granted CFOT certification upon completion of the course. Others who complete the course are eligible to write the CFOT exam.
- The course fee includes the first year of membership in the FOA.
- No experience necessary.
A 35-hour training program with both the theory and practical aspects of fiber optic cable in the areas of communication and data transmission are covered.
Designed for individuals who wish to increase their knowledge and gain hands-on skills in fiber optics technology in preparation for writing the Fiber Optics Association exam. The course has two components: a theory component, and a hands-on component where emphasis is placed on the practical aspects of working with fiber optic cables, including connectorization, fusion splicing and testing.
General Course Objectives
- Introduction to the basic concepts of optical fibers
- Study of fiber optics networks
- Study of cable types and specifications
- Perform hands-on terminations of optical fiber
- Perform hands-on splicing of optical fiber, including fusion and mechanical splicing
- Study basic concepts of optical testing, such as sources/power meters and OTDR
Who Should Attend
Although no previous experience is necessary, this course is mainly directly to those who have some technical background in the areas of electrical, electronics, telecom or instrumentation, as well as others who have been involved in the telecom or CATV industries.
What You Will Gain
Upon successful completion of this course you will have the knowledge and skills to install state-or-the-art cabling for telephones, security system, CATV and LANS. You will be able to install and terminate fiber cables, as well as troubleshoot and document fiber systems within industry specifications, Successful completion will lead to certification by the Fiber Optic Association as a Certified Fiber Optic Technician (CFOT).