International Student Guide

International Student Guide

Welcome new and returning students!

Thank you for making Saskatchewan Polytechnic your post-secondary educational institution of choice. Your educational experience should be personally and academically rewarding. And we want to help.

This guide is to help you adjust to life in Saskatchewan, Canada and support you while you attend Sask Polytech. You will find practical material ranging from information you might need before arriving, including:

  • important housing, shopping and transportation options;
  • basic information that will help you while attending Sask Polytech; and
  • possible immigration options you can pursue once your studies are completed.

If you require any support or have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We have a dedicated team here ready to assist you.

We have international student advisors on each campus city as well as part-time student assistants that can assist you during the school year. Our team is also comprised of two language specialists who can assist you throughout the year with technical language support and study skills. Finally we have two intercultural counsellors to assist with your transition to Canada and post-secondary life while here.

Keep an eye on your Sask Polytech inbox for special events offered to our international students, on-campus activities as well as information that we share regarding immigration matters.

Information and Resources

Nicknamed “The Land of Living Skies,” Saskatchewan has a rich mix of history and culture. Saskatchewan became a province of Canada in 1905 and currently has 1.1 million residents. Historically, Saskatchewan’s economy was primarily associated with agriculture. Recently, however, mining and natural gas have become key facets of the economy. Saskatchewan ranks second in Canada in GDP per capita by province and consistently has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada. 

Be sure to take advantage of everything that Saskatchewan has to offer.

Here are a couple of recommendations we advise you to pay particularly close attention to:

  1. Do not let your study permit expire. Start the renewal process at least two to three months BEFORE the expiry date.
  2. Keep your passport valid. Your immigration documents cannot be renewed if your passport has expired or will soon expire.
  3. If you are planning to work while you are studying or after, you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. To find out how to get a SIN, visit the Service Canada website. Once you receive your SIN, you should give the number to Registration Services. 
  4. If you work, you will need to file an income tax return every year. For more information on the process of filing a tax return as an International student, please visit Get ready to do your taxes
  5. If work terms, practicums, clinical training or co-operative education placements are a part of your program, you have to fulfill additional admission requirements. Check your program’s admission requirements and ensure that you have met these requirements or that you can provide evidence that you have met these requirements before registration. These might include:
    • Having a valid driver’s license
      A driver’s license could be required in many of the engineering co-op placements. Programs such as the Automotive Service Technician, Heavy Equipment and Truck and Transport Technician and Agricultural Machinery Technician programs (and others) will require a valid driver’s license. 
    • Certain immunizations
    • Criminal Record Check
      Programs that require a criminal record check include those where you could be working in a hospital, working with children and working with confidential information. When entering a job placement, co-op work placement, practicum, work experience component, or if you plan on staying in Canada and working upon graduation, you may be requested by the employer or host that you have a criminal record check. It is always a good idea to have one completed in your home country before arrival at Sask Polytech. 
  6. You will receive a “Notice to Register” letter approximately one month before your classes begin. In this letter, you will be provided details of when (date and time) and where (campus and room number) to register for classes on your first day. You will also receive your initial login information for mySaskPolytech, our staff and student portal.  

Regina is the closest city to fly into.

A few things to consider when booking your flights:

  • Regina is the best location to fly into. Saskatoon is another option, but it may lead to additional accommodation and transportation expenses.
  • The two main airlines operating within Canada are WestJet and Air Canada.

Flying into Regina International Airport

If you arrive in Regina after 3 p.m. and your final destination is Moose Jaw, make arragements to stay in Regina overnight. Regina is a small city and most places can be reached within 20 minutes from the airport. You can hire a taxi at the airport to take you anywhere in the city for $20 to $40 (Canadian dollars).

Moose Jaw is approximately 65 kilometers west of Regina. Various transportation options are available to help you get there.

Your own vehicle

  • Turn right onto Lewvan Drive and travel south until you reach the exit for Highway 1 west (the Trans-Canada Highway). Follow the road until you reach Moose Jaw.

Other transportation

  • There are numerous private contractors that offer transfers between Regina and Moose Jaw and can be found and contacted online.

Regina Airport Map

Flying into Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport

If you fly into Saskatoon, you need accommodation for at least one night and transportation to Moose Jaw or Regina. Below are affordable options for you to consider:

  • Accommodation: Air B & B is an online marketplace and hospitality service throughout Canada, enabling people to lease or rent short-term lodging including apartment rentals, homestays, hostel beds, or hotel rooms, at reasonable rates.
  • Transportation: Rider Express Transportation makes daily trips from Saskatoon to Regina, at a cost of $57 per passenger (additional charges will be applied for extra baggage).

Saskatoon Airport Map



Saskatoon is the closest city to fly into. The two main airlines operating within Canada are WestJet and Air Canada.

Prince Albert is approximately 140 kilometers north of Saskatoon. Here are some transportation options to move from Saskatoon to Prince Albert:

Your own vehicle

  • If you are driving from the airport, follow Airport Drive until you reach Circle Drive. Turn left and drive until you reach Idylwyld Drive. Then, turn left onto Idylwyld Drive and follow the road until you see the signs for Highway 2 north to Prince Albert.

Rider Express Transportation

  • Rider Express Transportation offers an affordable shuttle service between Saskatoon and Prince Albert, at a cost of $38 per person (additional charges apply for extra baggage). The bus operates every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It departs at 12:00 p.m. from the Tim Hortons at 619 22nd Street West, Saskatoon – about a 10-minute drive from the airport. Check their website for ticket and service information.
  • If you arrive in Saskatoon on a day that the shuttle does not operate, or after the shuttle has departed, make arrangements to stay overnight in Saskatoon. There are several hotel options you can choose from.

Other transportation

  • United Cabs and Comfort Cabs both operate in and around Saskatoon, and are both prepared to offer transfers to Prince Albert at the standard taxi rate.
  • There are numerous private contractors that offer transfers between Saskatoon and Prince Albert. They can be found online and contacted directly.

Saskatoon Airport Map

We recommend, when possible, you arrive four weeks before classes begin. 

There are many things you need to arrange before school starts and they all take time. Here are just a few things to consider:

  1. Find a place to live.
    Unless you have pre-arranged housing, it can be difficult to find a place to live on short notice. Remember, you'll need to buy furniture, food and other things for your apartment.
  2. Arrange for utilities – electricity, phone, etc.
  3. Open a bank account.
  4. Learn your way around the city to find banks, grocery stores, public transportation.
  5. Apply online for your Saskatchewan Health Card.

Arriving at the last minute can cause additional stress. If you do arrive late, contact Sask Polytech International Education for advice.

Here's our recommendation as to when you should arrive:

Your program start Recommended arrival
September intake early August
January intake early December
Sask Polytech closes for the holidays. It will be difficult to reach anyone between December 24 and January 4.
May intake mid-April

Sask Polytech is located in four cities within the province of Saskatchewan. You can learn a bit about the campus location and city that you are attending:

Your orientation at Sask Polytechnic takes place in several stages at the beginning of the academic year. There will be lots of information that will be shared with you – perhaps initially, an overwhelming amount. Don’t try and remember everything, but do remember there are lots of people who will answer your questions. Gather the information for reference and remember some of the people, especially your international student advisor and program head.

Stage one: Program

On your first day, you will meet program faculty. They will introduce you to your program and the school. The program orientation will involve tours and lectures about what you can expect as a student at Sask Polytech. They will include information on available resources, program expectations and academic policies.

You also have the opportunity to purchase your books and be scheduled to have your student identification (ID) photo taken.

Stage two: Meet

You will meet your international student advisor (ISA) and receive specific information to aid you in your studies as an international student at Sask Polytech. Your ISA is here to answer your questions and help you join our educational community.

When you are accepted, one of the first things you are asked to do is pay a seat (or tuition) deposit to hold your seat. The remainder of your tuition and fees are payable upon the first day of classes. You can choose to pay your tuition in two installments but a $100 deferred payment fee will be added to your amount owing.  

All international students are required to provide a copy of their study permit to Registration Services when they first arrive on campus and EACH TIME they renew their immigration documents.

Failure to provide copies of your immigration documents may result in being discontinued from your program. If you require any assistance in obtaining/renewing/replacing documents, please see your ISA. The Federal Government requires you to have a valid study permit while studying a program that is longer than six months. Do not let your study permit expire as this could result in discontinuation from the program and potentially a request from CIC to leave the country. 

Stage three: Welcome

Enjoy the welcome activities organized by Sask Polytech and your campus student associations. There will be activities to help new students meet one another, get to know the campus and the student supports available to you.

Be sure to check out the Welcome to Sask Polytech.


Some Sask Polytech programs have additional requirements that must be met to enable you to complete your work terms, practicums, clinical training or co-op terms. Check and make sure you have met these requirements or that you can provide evidence that you have met these requirements before registration. These include:

  • Having a valid driver’s license
  • Certain immunizations
  • Criminal record check

Programs that require a criminal record check include those where you could be working in a hospital, working with children and working with confidential information. When entering a job placement, co-op work term, practicum, work experience component, or if you plan on staying in Canada and working upon graduation you may be requested by the employer or host that you have a criminal record check. It is always a good idea to have one completed in your home country before arrival to Sask Polytech. Please be sure to check your program’s admission requirements.

A driver’s license could be required in many of the engineering co-op placements. Programs, such as the Automotive Service Technician, Heavy Equipment and Truck and Transport Technician and Agricultural Machinery Technician programs (as well as others) will require a valid driver’s license. Please be sure to check your program’s admission requirements.


You will receive a “Notice to Register” letter approximately one month before your classes begin. In this letter you will be provided details of when (date and time) and where (campus and room number) to register for classes on your first day. In this letter you will also receive your initial login information for mySaskPolytech, our staff and student portal.  

Your first few days will be very busy! Once you have met your program faculty and classmates, you will formally register for your program. Part of the registration process will involve paying your tuition and the fees for your program if you haven’t done so already.

When you were accepted, one of the first things you were asked to do was pay a seat (or tuition) deposit to hold your seat. The remainder of your tuition and fees are payable upon registration (the first day of classes). You can choose to pay your tuition in two installments but a $100 deferred payment fee will be added to your amount owing.  

All international students are required to provide a copy of their study permit to Registration Services when they first arrive on campus and EACH TIME they renew their immigration documents.

Failure to provide copies of your immigration documents may result in your being discontinued from your program. If you require any assistance in obtaining/renewing/replacing documents, please see your ISA. The Federal Government requires you to have a valid study permit while studying a program that is longer than six months. Do not let your study permit expire as this could result in discontinuation from the program and potentially a request from CIC to leave the country. 

As in all countries of the world, Canada has laws and regulations governing international visitors who are temporarily within its borders. These laws and regulations are complex. The following resources provide the immigration requirements you must fulfill during your stay in Canada. It describes and stresses the importance of your immigration documents and the need to keep them in good order.

It also summarizes your responsibilities and rights as a visitor temporarily residing in Canada. 

The IRCC site is the authoritative source of information for immigration matters in Canada.

By this point, you will already have an account set up (myIRCC) and be familiar with this site. This is where you will apply for study and work permits. You are required to provide your study permit to Registration Services when you start classes and keep it up-to-date.

Be sure to read up on information pertaining to:

If you need any assistance or have questions, please visit the IRCC Help Centre or call the IRCC Call Centre.

Saskatchewan has the most attractive Permanent Residency laws in Canada for students looking to immigrate to Canada. Visit the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program for more information.


Coming from a country which has a different culture, language and customs can be a disorienting experience. Culture shock can be experienced in a number of ways. For example, after the excitement of the first few weeks, you may find yourself feeling a bit lonely, sad or confused. This is a natural response. With friends and family no longer available, you will have to find new ways of doing things, different ways of communicating with people, and alternate ways of learning in the classroom. This can be a very stressful time. While one student may experience culture shock by being extremely lonely or homesick, another student may experience it through physical symptoms such as headaches, upset stomach, insomnia or an inability to concentrate. Symptoms can range from feeling sad and low to a more severe depression. You may be aware of these feelings in the first few weeks, or the reaction may be delayed.


Frequent showers plus the dry air in heated apartments during the winter can cause the skin to become extremely dry. A general remedy is to use a moisturizing lotion or baby oil on your skin. When in doubt, seek medical help. Try to increase the humidity in the apartment by buying a humidifier or simply by filling a container with water every few days and placing it in the bedroom. We hope these hints will be helpful as you and your body adjust to a different climate.


Although Canada is billed as a multicultural country, there are social norms that are generally accepted no matter where you are in the country. You can learn more about life in Canada through CIC and the Centre for Intercultural Learning


Loneliness is one of the most worrisome feelings reported by international students and making new friends is the best remedy for dealing with this problem.

Make a special effort to reach out and meet people. Personal and social contacts are vital to your well-being and your adjustment here.

One of the easiest ways to meet people is by joining clubs or associations, in the classroom or by working on projects together. It’s up to you to say, “Hello!” Cross-cultural interactions are extremely rewarding and will definitely enhance your self-esteem and your sense of identity.

If you experience any adjustment difficulties during your time here, please come and see us. We understand how difficult it can be for some students and we can provide you with a great deal of support. Our services are confidential.


Some students who have never lived in a cold climate may be unaccustomed to certain personal hygiene habits that are generally common to Canadians.

In some countries, it may be customary to take two or three showers per day. Here, because of the cold weather, some people tend to bathe less often. During the winter when people are warmly dressed and live, work and travel in enclosed spaces, ventilation may be less than adequate. For this reason it is very important to remember to shower at least every second day and to use a deodorant to keep body odours to a minimum. There are many kinds of deodorants and they are inexpensive and readily available at most pharmacies or grocery stores. Using a deodorant is a very good investment especially if you want to make and keep friends.

Clothing is generally determined by your personal preference, and while style is personal, living in Saskatchewan also makes it important to consider function when buying clothing – particularly for the winter months. Temperatures frequently dip to -30°C and lower each winter and it is important to be dressed appropriately for the weather to avoid injury.

There are many malls and retail shops in all four campus cities, offering both new and gently-used clothing. Below is a list of the larger shopping malls:

Malls in Moose Jaw

Malls in Prince Albert

Malls in Regina

Malls in Saskatoon

There are several child care options for children four years old and younger:

Licensed day care centres or private homes
• Unlicensed day care in private homes
Pre-School (Prekindergarten)

Children who are five years and older:
Kindergarten to Grade 12 (K-12) education

For more information, you can contact the Child Care Regional Office closest to you:
•Saskatoon: 306-933-6071
•Regina: 306-787-4980
•Moose Jaw: 306-694-3644
•Prince Albert: 306-953-3612

Daycare services are available for students and employees in Prince Albert, Regina and Saskatoon campus. Please visit Sask Polytech student services for more information. 


The temperature can range in Saskatchewan from +35°C in the summer to -40°C in the winter. It’s especially important to dress appropriately for the weather. Although the lower temperature can be a bit of shock for international students who come here from warmer climates, winter can also be a highly enjoyable season with many outdoor activities to engage in. There are a wide range of winter sports you can try out for the first time, many winter festivals and events to experience and just being out and about enjoying the outdoors. How much you are able to enjoy winter depends a great deal on the clothes you wear. A good winter coat, boots, mitts (or gloves), toque (or hat) and a scarf are staples in most Canadians’ wardrobes.

The Saskatchewan Immigration website has a lot of valuable information regarding appropriate dress for the winter.

You’ll find the weather is a common topic of conversation in Canada – we have a lot of weather changes so there is a lot to talk about! You can visit Environment Canada and the Weather Network to learn more about the weather in Canada.  



Co-operative Education consists of a three-way partnership between students, Sask Polytech and employers. It is a component of most business and all engineering technology diploma programs offered in Moose Jaw. 

When applying for your study permit, if you are in one of the co-op programs, you should apply for your co-op work permit at the same time as your study permit. If you failed to do this, you should apply for the co-op work permit as soon as possible. The International Education department can provide you with an accompanying letter to submit during the application.


As an international student, you are permitted to work off campus once your studies begin. You must be a full-time student with a valid study permit. Also, you must be taking a program that is a least six months long that leads to a certificate, diploma or degree. You can work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks. 


International students are permitted to work on campus at Sask Polytech provided you are a full-time student and have a valid study permit. Jobs are limited. There are less than 15 student jobs available. It is highly unlikely you will find employment on campus.


Students studying certificate, diploma or degree programs at Sask Polytech that are at least eight months in length may be eligible to work after graduation. You need to apply for a post-graduation work permit.  


If you work, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A Social Insurance Number will be necessary for payroll and income tax purposes. Information and application forms are available in any Service Canada Centre (telephone: 1-800-206-7218). To apply for a SIN, one requires an off-campus work permit, a post-grad work permit or a job offer from an on-campus employer. 


There may also be options for the spouse or common-law partner of a full-time Sask Polytech student to work. Please visit CIC for more information. 


Sask Polytech students and graduates are highly sought after by employers. With nearly a third of Canada's labour force set to retire in the next five to ten years, employers are actively searching for quality employees to fill vacancies left by retirees, and to provide new skills for evolving industries and their technologies.

The Student Employment Services offices at each campus offer many support services and host annual career fairs.


Most stores are open seven days a week with reduced hours on the weekend. 

Sales tax will be applied to purchases. Saskatchewan residents are subject to the 5% federal goods and services tax (GST) and a 6% provincial sales tax (PST). Each province sets their own tax rate so taxes vary depending on where you are in Canada.


You will find consumer information on practically everything on this comprehensive site maintained by Industry Canada. Consult the databases before making big decisions. For example, you can:

  • Find out how vulnerable you are to consumer fraud.
  • Download the Consumer Handbook.
  • Gain access to the Canadian Consumer Information Gateway.  
  • Find important tips, questions and advice for consumers all in one place!

Another very valuable document is Shopping in Canada: A consumer guide for Newcomers to Canada produced by Industry Canada.


Most Canadians shop at large supermarkets for their groceries. There are a number of large chain supermarkets in each campus city. 

The Real Canadian Superstore has a large selection of grocery items and is known for have a large selection of international foods, including halal selections.

Other options include:

In the larger centres of Saskatoon and Regina there are a large number of specialty shops that specialize solely in certain foods (like halal or kosher foods). A Google search for the city you reside in will provide a list of options.

Zuking Tindahan
412 Lillooet St, Moose Jaw

  • Wide variety of Filipino and Asian groceries
  • Imported Sauces, condiments and spices

Real Canadian Superstore 
30 Thatcher Dr E, Moose Jaw, SK S6J 1L7

  • Large section of International foods and general groceries, halal meats and produce


200 1 Ave NW, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 1K9

  • General groceries, produce and meat

Bulk Barn
343 Thatcher Dr E, Moose Jaw, SK S6J 1L8

  • Bulk general groceries, produce and meat

Nutter's Bulk & Natural Foods
605B Main St N, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 0W6

  • Bulk and specialty foods

Grocery Store

Specialties and Information

P.A. Asian Food Store
26 13th St W, Prince Albert, SK S6V3E8
Phone: 306 922-0700

Food from Africa, Latin America, India, Asia, Burma and more.

J's Mabuhay Ethnic Groceries
1317 Central Ave,Prince Albert, SK, S6V 4W1
Phone: 306-922-2211

Filipino and Asian groceries

2995 2 Ave W, Prince Albert, SK S6V 5V5
Phone: 306 922-1242

General groceries, produce and meat

Real Canadian Superstore
591 15 St E, Prince Albert, SK, S6V 1G3 
Phone:306 953-8100

Large section of International foods and general groceries, halal meats and produce

Bulk Barn
801-15th St E, Prince Albert, SK S6V 5P7
Phone: 306 763-1310

Bulk grocery items

Wholesale Food Club
4050 2nd Avenue W. Prince Albert,SK,S6W 1A2
Phone: 306 764-9770

Bulk grocery items

Nutter's Bulk & Natural Foods
365 36th St W, Prince Albert, SK S6V 7L4
Phone: 306-922-3835

 Bulk and specialty foods

800 15th St E, Prince Albert, SK S6V 8E

General groceries, produce, pre-prepared meals and meat

India Food Centre
417, Victoria Avenue,

  • Indian groceries and fresh produce
  • Indian herbs, spices and sweets
  • Frozen east Indian meals

Spice Bazaar
112, Victoria Avenue,

  • Indian Foods, spices and condiments
  • Frozen meals and flatbreads
  • Fresh tropical fruits and dairy products

East Indian Grocery Store,
3144 Avonhurst Dr,

  • Indian groceries and fresh produce
  • Indian herbs, spices and sweets
  • Frozen east Indian meals

Bombay Spices,
3198 Gordon Rd,

  • Indian Foods, spices and condiments
  • Frozen meals and flatbreads
  • Fresh tropical fruits and dairy products

Central Halal Meat & Grocery
2633 Dewdney Avenue,

  • Halal meats and east Indian groceries


Rosemond African Foods & Market Inc
215 Victoria Avenue,

  • African and Caribbean groceries
  • Fresh and frozen fish
  • Fresh African vegetables
  • Bottled African drinks

Ngoy Hoa Asian Foods Ltd
1580 Albert St,

  • Wide variety of Chinese, Japanese and Pan Asian groceries


Mang Gerry’s Filipino Store,
109 Albert St,

  • Wide variety of Filipino and Asian groceries
  • Sauces, condiments and spices

Seoul Mart,
2101 Broad St,

  • Korean and Japanese groceries
  • Asian spices and sauces

T&D Filipino Sari-Sari Store,
6851 Rochdale Blvd,

  • Wide variety of Filipino and Asian groceries
  • Sauces, condiments and spices

Ukrainian Co-op,
1805 Winnipeg St,

  • Various cuts of meat products
  • Ukrainian sausages and other fermented meat products
  • Ukranian and eastern European groceries

Real Canadian Superstore
2055 Prince of Wales Dr, Regina, SK S4V 3A3
4450 Rochdale Blvd, Regina, SK S4X 4N9

  • Large section of International foods and general groceries, halal meats and produce


Multiple Locations

  • General groceries, produce and meat

Hometown Co-op
Broadview Food Store

  • General groceries, produce and meat

No Frills
5000, 4th Avenue, Regina

  • Cheap groceries and fresh produce items

2231 East Quance Street, Regina, SK S4V 2Z3
4250 Albert St, Regina, SK S4S 3R9

  • General groceries, produce and meat
  • Ready to eat meals

Grocery Store

Specialties and Information

Ahmad’s Grocery
Suite 101 -3521 8th Street East 

  • Indian and Pakistani groceries
  • Large selection of Halal meat, fish, spices and curries
  • Small selection of Middle Eastern specialty teas and sauces

Bistak Groceries
419 20th St. – 306-649-0478

  • African and Caribbean groceries
  • Fresh and frozen fish

Broadway Fish Market
835 Broadway Ave. – 306-652-8008

  • Fresh, frozen and smoked seafood

Brothers Halal Meat & Groceries (East)
800 Central Ave, Saskatoon, SK S7N 2G6
(306) 979-6962

  • Halal meats and east Indian groceries

Bulk Barn
Suite 130 – 219 Betts Ave. – 306-933-3903 
1804 Mc Ormand Drive – 306-649-0243

  • Bulk and packaged food items

Charlie’s Seafood Market
210 – 3929 8th St. E – 306-955-7127

  • Wide variety of frozen fish and sushi

Chung Wah Chinese Grocery and Seafood
219 20th ST. W. – 306-933-3188

  • Wide variety Chinese, Japanese and Pan Asian groceries

Eastern Market
218 Ave. B – 306-244-5502

  • Wide variety Chinese, Japanese and Pan Asian groceries

EE Buritos
102 Ave. P S. – 306-343-6264

  • Restaurant with small selection of Latin-American groceries

EMCO finer foods
2228 Avenue C North
Phone: (306) 242-8877

  •  Hungarian, German, Polish, Balkan, Romanian groceries
  • Deli items

Farmer’s Market
414 Ave. B. – 306-384-6262 
Various vendors - Open Wednesdays 11am – 5pm, Saturday 8 am – 2 pm and Sunday (summer only) 10am – 3pm.

  • Local vendors with Ukrainian, Indian, and Vietnamese foods 
  • Iranian and Swiss baking
  • Frozen bison and fish
  • Fresh local fruit vegetables, herbs and spices

Filipino Asian Foods
115 3rd Ave S. – 306-934-6165

  • Filipino groceries
  • Only frozen and packaged foods

Global Pinoy Food Store
15 Worobetz Pl. – 306-979-5667

  • Asian groceries

Lu’s Market Ltd
1024 Louise Ave. – 306-477-3588

  • Large selection of Chinese groceries including fresh and frozen produce, frozen fish, as well as a small selection of Korean and Japanese foods

Madina Foods and Halal meats (Brothers)
800 Central Ave. – 306-979-6962

  • Mainly Indian groceries as well as some from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Persia
    Halal meat selection

Maggie’s Sausage house and Deli
1032 Louise Ave, Saskatoon SK S7H2P6

  • Wide range of eastern European sausages and meat products

Pak Can Foods and Halal Meat Inc.
2102 22nd St. W. – 306-649-0226

  • Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladesh groceries
  • Small selection of sweets from Iran and Iraq
  • Halal meat selection

Pardessi bazaar
East: 3521, 8th St E, Unit #107-108 
West: 415 51st St #1, Saskatoon, SK S7K 6V4

  • Wide varieties of Indian Groceries
  • Imported east Indian snacks and spices
  • Fresh East Indian vegetables

Petra Markets
6A 234 Primrose Drive - 306 974-3293

  • Mediterranean and Middle Eastern groceries

Royale African Store
3A-702 22nd St W, 306-249-5711

  • African Groceries

Safari Market
270-2600 8th Street East
306 374 0411

  • Products from South Africa, West Africa (Ghana and Nigeria), East Africa, parts of North Africa and the Caribbean.

Saskatoon Persian
223 25th Street West - 306 979-8869

  • Persian groceries

Saskatoon Victoria Fine Foods
1120 11th St W, Saskatoon, SK S7M 1G8
(306) 244-6661

  • Korean groceries

Slavianka Ukrainian & European Food Store
103A-3421 8th St E, Saskatoon 
(306) 249-5653

  • Ukranian and Eastern European groceries

Steep Hill Food Co-op
730 Broadway Ave. – 306-664-4455

  • Bulk organic flours, cereals, nuts, seeds and beans
  • Optional membership of $20/year
  • Organic eggs, beef, chicken and fish
  • Prices slightly higher than average

Swadesh Supermarkets
West Side Location: 2102 22nd St. West, Saskatoon S7M 0V3
Phone : (306) 649-0226 

East Side Location: 1902 8th St Suite # 2. East, Saskatoon S7H 0T7
Phone : (306) 242-6388


  • Halal meats
  • East Indian groceries and fresh produce
  • East Indian sweets

10 Thousand Villages
600 45th Street West – 306-665-7525 
143 2nd Ave. North – 306-242-2991

  • Small selection of ethnic food and drink including S.E. Asian teas and spices and African sauces and jams
  • All food and drink are fair trade


Currency and money

Canada’s official currency is the Canadian dollar ($). There are 100 cents (¢) in a dollar. Coins have different sizes, shapes and colours. They have nicknames that Canadians use in everyday life. 


Name Value Dollar value
 $0 .05  1/20 dollar
$ 0.10 1/10 dollar
$ 0.25 1/4 dollar
Dollar or “loonie”
$1.00 one dollar
Two dollars or “toonie”
$2.00 two dollars

Paper currency is found in units of $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100, and is clearly marked in numerals and words, both in English and French. Each denomination has a distinctive colour to aid with identification. Keep in mind that some establishments do not accept $50 and $100 bills.






Currency Exchange

Any financial banking institution or foreign exchange bureau will exchange currency. We recommend that you ask what administrative fees are charged. Some establishments will charge a “fixed fee” where others will charge a percentage regardless of the amount being exchanged.

The Bank of Canada website offers an excellent reference in determining exchange rates.

Universal Currency Converter and Oanda allow you to perform foreign exchange rate calculations on the Internet.


One of the first things you should do after you arrive in Canada is open a bank account. It is unwise to carry or keep large amounts of cash in your living quarters or on your person.

Choosing a bank

Consider convenience. Most banks have main offices and branches located throughout the city. In order to open an account some banks may require that you live in the vicinity. Large banks include Scotiabank, Royal Bank of Canada, TD Canada Trust, Bank of Montreal and CIBC.

Opening a bank account

Go to the New Accounts department. A bank employee will explain the different types of accounts and the costs and services of each type of account. It is a good idea to check with several banks to determine which bank offers the best account for your needs. Many students open both chequing and savings accounts. In most banks it is possible to open a bank account by showing your passport, your Sask Polytech Letter of Admission or identification card, your Saskatchewan Health Card, and study permit. You may also be asked to show a copy of your apartment lease as proof of residency.

Types of bank accounts

IMPORTANT: Never send cash through the mail.

Chequing accounts

These accounts are a way to keep your money safe while still maintaining easy access to it. Reasons for having a chequing account are:

  • Cheques are an easy way to pay bills/rent, especially by mail.
  • A cancelled cheque (i.e., a cashed cheque) which is returned to you in your monthly statement serves as a receipt — proof that you have made a payment.
  • Monthly statements of your expenditures and a monthly notation of your bank balance provide a record and a review of your expenditures.
Savings account

If you bring enough money for the entire term or a good portion of the money you will require, you probably should put most of it in a savings account. A savings account earns interest and withdrawals can be made regularly to cover your immediate living expenses. You can withdraw the money in cash, or, especially for large amounts, in the form of a bank cheque. If you have a savings and a chequing account in the same bank, you can transfer funds from your savings account to your chequing account with your bank card.

Bank machines

An automated bank machine (or ABM) is another way to withdraw cash, make deposits and pay certain bills such as telephone and electricity bills. To use a bank machine you must apply for a bank card or Interac card from the bank which administers your account.


Tuition and fees are a sizeable part of the cost of attending school. However, the biggest costs associated with being a student are those related to paying rent (and associated utilities), food, transportation, clothing and entertainment, to name a few. It is important to create a budget and plan how you are going to allocate your resources while studying. There are many online resources to help you plan a budget. Some options for assistance are CIBC Student Budget Calculator, TD Student Advice, and Microsoft College Budget


International students are permitted and encouraged to complete a federal (Canada) income tax return whether they have worked or not. Employment income, scholarships, bursaries and fellowships are normally subject to income tax.

Provincial and federal income taxes are deducted from your salary on every pay cheque. Income tax may be refunded depending on your annual income and expenses. Every year you will be required to file an income tax return before the end of April. To assist you in completing the income tax return, Canada Revenue Agency publishes a Students and Income Tax BookletInternational Education will arrange for a workshop on this topic.

Please review information regarding Federal and Provincial taxes


Every year Canadians and most international students complete Federal and Provincial Income Tax forms and apply for a GST and PST tax credit. Workshops are offered every year in March and are intended to help you complete an income tax return.

The Federal Government website has more information on taxes.  They also have a series of very informative videos that you should consider viewing during tax time.


If you have a health emergency, call 911.

Whether you're feeling stressed out, need treatment or support, or require specific health information, you can contact the campus health nurse at:

Moose Jaw Campus
Health Services, Room 7.111

Prince Albert Campus
Health Services, Technical Centre

Regina Campus
Health Services, Room 107
306-775-7347 or 306-775-7348

Saskatoon Campus
Health Services, Room 123

Eligible international students can apply for a Saskatchewan Health card upon your arrival in Saskatchewan. Read our Saskatchewan Health Card Guide (pdf) to learn more about how to apply or extend your SK health card for yourself and your family (if applicable).

In addition, international students are eligible for Saskatchewan Polytechnic Student Association’s Health and Dental Plan that provides supplemental coverage that may not be included in your SK health coverage.



Prince Albert has one major hospital and four walk-in medi-clinic facilities.  

  • Victoria Hospital1200 24th Street West, Prince Albert SK  S6V 5T4
  • Medi-clinicsWalk-in facilities at various locations in Prince Albert


Regina has two major hospitals and 14 walk-in medi-clinic facilities.  


Saskatoon has three major hospitals and 10 walk-in medi-clinic facilities:  

Sask Polytech observes statutory holidays. Closure dates are listed on the academic year and breaks page


As a Sask Polytech student studying in Saskatoon, you can live with a Canadian family while you complete your studies, learn about Canadian culture, and make lifelong friends. 

Upon acceptance at Sask Polytech, complete the application. Applications should be submitted a minimum of six weeks prior to the start of classes.

The minimum stay with homestay is eight weeks. All eight-week fees must be paid at time of application.
These include:

  • $780/four weeks (28 days)
  • $220 registration, orientation, and placement fee
  • $500 refundable security deposit that is to be paid at time of application

Total fees for an eight-week minimum homestay to be paid at time of application are:
$2,280 ($220 + [2 x $780] + $500).

If you have any questions, please visit the Canada Homestay website or email


If you are looking for an apartment, room and board or shared accommodation, the Students' Associations maintain housing registries. Sask Polytech or the Students' Associations do not investigate or approve accommodations listed in the housing registries and we do not assume responsibility for rental arrangements made between you and the landlord. 

If you are looking for accommodation, you can also search on Kijiji, Craigslist, Boardwalk Rental Communities,, Avenue Living or any of the rental agencies operating in Saskatoon.


If you run into any problems with your landlord regarding the terms of your lease or the condition of your apartment, consult any or all of the following places to be sure of your rights and responsibilities


We recommend that you purchase a home/tenant insurance which covers you against specific dangers to your possessions, in case of theft, fire, smoke or water damage, etc. Home/tenant insurance also includes a legal liability for unintentional property damage to the premises or their contents—for example, accidentally setting the apartment on fire, causing water damage to your neighbours, etc.

The cost of home/tenant insurance varies according to the total value of the belongings you wish to insure, as well as other factors such as the location of your apartment.

The minimum period of coverage is normally twelve months.

To find and compare insurance options, search the internet for “Saskatchewan Home and Tenant Insurance”. You should also review the Saskatchewan Office of Residential Tenancies. This shows the rights and responsibilities of both the landlord and tenant.


Depending on where you end up living, you may need to arrange for utilities (electricity, natural gas, telephone, etc.). Check the Saskatchewan Immigration website for information on how to arrange for utility hook-ups.

Remember – The voltage system in Canada is 110 volt, 60 hertz. If you are planning to bring some of your own electrical appliances to Canada, you might need to buy a voltage transformer/converter so that your appliances will work.

You can get a Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) photo identification (ID) card from any motor license issuer. Two pieces of ID are required to get a photo ID. Both pieces of ID must establish your legal name, signature and birth date. Please visit SGI for information regarding acceptable documents. These documents allow you to prove residency and can assist when you look to purchase mobile phones and other items.

These are an essential part of your life and are vital to your well-being — in moderation, of course.

Most on-campus activities are organized by student groups. Your campus Students' Association organizes most of the campus-wide events. Students will organize their own events by class or program as fundraisers for their grads (or just for fun). Check for events and activities on mySaskPolytech, bulletin boards and through your class representatives.

Off-campus opportunities abound. Each of our cities has a rich selection of leisure and recreation events and opportunities. Here are a few links to help you stay in the loop in your city.


Saskatoon Star Phoenix, Saskatoon Cinemas and Discover Saskatoon


Regina Leader Post, the Regina Nightlife guide, Regina Cinemas and City of Regina.


Prince Albert Daily Herald, the Prince Albert event calendar, Prince Albert cinemas and Tourism Prince Albert.


Moose Jaw Times Herald, the Moose Jaw event calendar, Moose Jaw nightlife guide, Moose Jaw cinemas and Tourism Moose Jaw.


Tourism Saskatchewan

The government postal system in Canada is efficient. Stamps for letters inside Canada cost $0.85 (plus G.S.T.), while stamps for overseas are $2.50 (plus G.S.T.) and United States $1.20 (All prices are subject to change). 

Canada Post offers a variety of services from sending letter mail, priority courier, sending parcels to distant places to creating money orders.

Canada Post offices are located throughout Saskatchewan. Their hours of operation vary from location to location. Check a convenient location near you.


You will need to have a valid Saskatchewan driver’s license to drive in Saskatchewan. The Saskatchewan Immigration website has information on how to arrange for your driver’s license.  

Please note that a driver’s license may be required for you to complete your work placement, practicum or co-op work term. If this is required for your program you should begin the process of gaining a valid Saskatchewan driver’s license as soon as possible. If you are required to take a driving test, it is much easier to take the test in the months when the roads aren’t covered with snow and ice.


All four campus cities are serviced by a public bus system. Fares differ from one city to another and monthly passes can be purchased that offer a further discount for frequent riders. For students who ride the bus daily, a monthly bus pass is usually cheaper than paying a fare each time you use the bus. Follow the links below for transit information in the city in which you will be studying.

Moose Jaw

Prince Albert




As a regular means of transportation, taxis are very expensive. Taxis are easily found on any major street. Simply raise your hand to hail a cab. The price is indicated on meters located up front beside the driver. You can also phone for a taxi to book one. Just search the internet for cab companies in your city.


All students at Sask Polytech are expected to abide by our Academic Progress (pdf) and Student Conduct policies.

Be sure to review this policy and check with your instructors if you are unsure if what you are doing (or want to do) contravenes this policy. Breaking this policy could result in a failed grade or expulsion from the program. Be sure to attend the Academic Integrity workshop hosted by International Education for an explanation of what this policy means to you as a Sask Polytech student.

Each campus has a bookstore.

Classroom courtesy helps build good relations between the student and the instructor. Here are a few suggestions:

  • Be on time for classes and appointments.
  • In the first class the instructors will give you a handout describing the course requirements. If you miss the first class, be sure to see the instructor so that you know what is expected of you.
  • Call your instructors, Mr., Mrs., Ms. or Miss followed by their family name, unless you are given permission to call them by their first name. You may find that classroom interactions with your instructors are more informal than you may be used to and it is not uncommon for instructors to have you address them by their first name.
  • If you have a special name you would like instructors to use, you may tell them so. Otherwise, you will generally be called by your first name.
  • On the first day of classes instructors usually tell students their office hours so students may meet with them to ask questions about classwork. Don’t be shy to ask your instructors for information and guidance.
  • If you wish to ask questions in class, raise your hand.
  • If you wish to record a lecture in order to help you to understand the subject, check with the instructor before bringing a recording device to class.
  • If you are late for class, enter quietly without knocking and sit where you will not disturb anyone. If you are very late, explain after class.
  • If for some reason you must leave early, tell the instructor before the class begins.
  • Except for large lecture classes, inform the instructor ahead of time if you know you will be late or absent from class.
  • If you are absent from class, either send a note or call the instructor or the department and leave a message. Be sure to catch up on what you missed.
  • Identify yourself at once when calling an instructor. Specify what class you attend.
  • If you are unable to keep an appointment with an instructor, call before the appointed time and excuse yourself.
  • You will be expected to attend classes regularly, complete all the assignments and readings and take all the exams.
  • Eating and smoking are prohibited in the classroom.
Please let us know whenever you move. It is important to update your address and telephone number every time you move. This is the only way Sask Polytech and the International Education office can reach you with important information or in case of an emergency. You can notify Sask Polytech of your new address online by accessing your personal student information on mySaskPolytech. You can also fill out the change of address form (pdf) and submit it to Registration Services or email to us and we will forward for you. 
Each Sask Polytech campus has its own library branch. The library provides service to all Sask Polytech students, faculty and staff. Each campus library includes a learning commons, study space and comfortable seating. Our friendly and professional staff members can assist you in person, by email, telephone and instant message. The library has developed a series of videos that may assist with using the library at Sask Polytech. 

MySaskPolytech is your access to online services at Sask Polytech. You can check your Sask Polytech email, review your grades, print an unofficial transcript, connect with your instructor, make payments on your account, catch up with what’s new on your campus, and more. 


If you want to withdraw from a program or course, you must notify Registration Services of your intention to withdraw. Non-attendance is not considered notification of your intention to withdraw from a course or program.

Please ensure that you are familiar with our refund and withdrawal policy


Each campus has a students' association that provides peer support, services and organizes student activities and clubs.  Every Sask Polytech student pays a student association fee which entitles them to the services and supports the students' associations provide.

International students at Sask Polytech have their own informal association where they share information, resources and news and connect with one another. The hub for their interactions is their own Saskatchewan Polytechnic International Students Facebook page. Note that this is an unofficial page and does not have any affiliation with Sask Polytech or Sask Polytech International Education. While some Sask Polytech staff, including your International Education advisors and manager, the Business program head and a few Communications and Marketing staff follow the page, we do not respond to Facebook messages or emails on this page. You can continue to contact us at Occasionally we will update the page with time-sensitive information, especially pertaining to CIC or SINP updates or changes.

If any of you are interested in becoming an administrator of the page, please let us know and we will put you in touch with the international student administrators. They are always looking for new students to assist with the updates. 

Services and supports to assist you during your studies include:

  • Counselling services
  • Health services

    As a Sask Polytech student or employee, you can access a registered nurse conveniently and confidentially at any of our main campuses.

    Whether you're feeling stressed out, need treatment or support or require specific health information, come and see us. Please walk in at your convenience or make an appointment to fit your schedule.

    Health services include:

    • Health information and counselling
    • Health promotion activities
    • Immunizations
    • Minor first aid
    • Referrals to health professionals
  • Helpdesk
  • Learning services
  • Student awards

    International students are eligible for most of the same scholarships, bursaries and awards as our domestic students.  Note that some awards are reserved for Canadians or other equity groups. Please investigate and apply for anything that you believe you may qualify for. Do note, however, that most awards are typically in the $500 to $1000 range. You would still need to fund the majority of your tuition and living expenses yourself.  

  • Students' associations
  • And more... just browse in the student services section of the website.


Speak up in class. Do not be intimidated by Canadian students who are used to the often lively exchange among students and instructors. Remember, participation in class discussions may be part of your grade.


Keep up-to-date in your studies and make sure you are really learning and not just memorizing. In problem-solving courses, practice solving problems. You cannot learn everything the night before an exam. Review your notes, returned tests and quiz papers. Before you start writing answers, read each question carefully to be certain you understand what is being asked of you. Plan your examination time; avoid spending too much time on one question. If you have difficulty answering a question, go on to another question and return to the difficult one later.

Sask Polytech is a polytechnic which means we engage in technical, hands-on training so some of your examinations will involve an assessment of practical skills. Remember, Sask Polytech training is a blend of practical and theoretical and you’ll be tested on how you can apply what you’ve learned.


Take notes. Write down the main points. Use key words and phrases and itemize whenever possible.


Researching, organizing and final writing of papers takes time. Be sure to learn to use the Sask Polytech libraries. Plan your time and begin early.


Read every day. Reading lists can be long and, again, you must plan your time wisely. Keep your reading current with lecture topics.


Some international students who have done quite well academically at home are very upset when they find themselves struggling to keep up with new assignments. There may be very good reasons for this such as differences in language, differences in learning and teaching styles, classroom climate, cultural adjustment, etc. DO NOT BE ALARMED! Try some of the following strategies:

  • Talk to your instructor; ask for guidance. They are there to help you.
  • Discuss the situation with other students in the class, compare notes or study together.
  • Consult learning specialists in Counselling Services or the learning centres.
  • If you do not know who to talk to, contact an international student advisor for advice.

Learning and study strategy workshops are offered by Student Services to help students become more successful students. The workshops are offered by study skills specialists who will give useful tips geared to improving your academic performance. Here are just a few examples of the workshops offered:

  • Exam anxiety
  • Exam preparation
  • Math skills
  • Study skills
  • Time management
  • Writing skills

These workshops are popular so register early. 

For more information and advice visit the Learning Services at your campus or Counseling Services


Many of you may have credits or classes that you would like to transfer. However, as Sask Polytechincorporates both theory and practical hands-on learning into its curriculum, international students often do not receive as much transfer credit as they were anticipating.

It is up to you to apply for transfer credit with your program head. You will have to match your previous study with the particular class at Sask Polytech. Please note, however, that as an international student it is very important to maintain full-time status while at Sask Polytech, not only to keep your visa up-to-date, but to take advantage of work opportunities both during your studies and upon graduation.

If you are interested in applying for transfer credit, familiarize yourself with the Recognition of Prior Learning: PLAR and Transfer Credit policy (pdf) and complete the transfer credit request form (pdf).

Get involved with the Sask Polytech community. We host a variety of events for international students, both online and in person, throughout the year.