Student Awards Frequently Asked Questions
Thanks to the generosity of donors and alumni, Saskatchewan Polytechnic provides approximately $2 million in student awards every school year. You can find more information about student awards and the online application, when available, on the Student Awards page.
About the application process
You will use your mySaskPolytech email address and password to log into the application system. Your Sask Polytech email address will end with “@saskpolytech.ca”.
If you need assistance logging in to the single sign-on or resetting your password, please contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com or 1-888-733-5333.
Sign in by clicking on the purple button below. You will need to sign on using your mySaskPolytech credentials (email and password).
Click on “Applicant Record” on the bottom left-hand side of the page to review all information in your profile. If any changes need to be made, contact Enrolment Services.
Complete the general application with all requested information. The application system will auto-match you with all awards for your program and year/level, as well as awards that match any criteria that you entered on your general application.
Applications can be submitted or saved for completion at another time. Any updates or changes must be submitted by the cycle’s deadline date to be considered.
Once completed, you will be considered for any awards you are auto-matched to based on the criteria in the general application and your Sask Polytech student record. You will see a status of “Submitted” on your student dashboard.
You will be able to view the awards you’ve applied to through the “auto-match” process once you’ve completed the general application. They will appear at the bottom of the “My Applications” tab on the application system.
Any awards that you may be eligible for that require additional information will be suggested to you for application under your “Recommended Opportunities”. These are triggered by a student’s information in the general application and Sask Polytech student record. Once you’ve completed the secondary questions for these awards, they will also appear at the bottom of the “My Applications” tab. You can update these at any time during the open cycle.
We update the financial component annually and it is based on the same figures that are used to decide your eligibility for student loans in Saskatchewan.
- Incomes are the supports and funding you receive while in school and can include personal loans, savings, or awards, etc. These are the incomes you may need to supply:
- Monthly gross income
- Spouse’s monthly gross income
- Monthly child support or alimony
- Other monthly incomes
- Expenses are the costs you incur while in school and can include:
- Provincial monthly living allowance expenses
- Dependent costs
- Tuition and books/supplies.
You are not able to edit any of the information on the applicant record. If you notice an error on your record, please contact Enrolment Services.
The criteria for each award will be displayed in the opportunity description. If the description only requires academic achievement and/or financial need, nothing further is required, and you will only need to complete the general application.
If you meet the eligibility criteria for awards that require additional information these opportunities will be available to apply for once you’ve submitted the general application and will appear as “Recommended Opportunities”. Click on the opportunity and read the description to determine if you meet all the requirements of the award. There may be some eligibility requirements you do not meet (e.g., volunteer activities, be a member/child of a member of an affiliated group, active in a community, have taken specific courses, single parent, etc.). Only apply to the awards in which you meet all criteria.
You will be prompted to complete the additional questions or supply documents once you select “Apply” on each opportunity.
No, you can only apply for awards that are designated for your program at your campus.
The recommendation letter must be uploaded into the application system by the scholarship application deadline date of 11:59 p.m. Please ensure you give your reference provider the scholarship deadline date when you request their reference.
If you have made a mistake on your general application, you can correct your application and then resubmit. Click “Update” below the general application on “My Applications” tab to access the questions. Changes to your application can only be accepted while the application is open. If the deadline date has passed, then no changed can up accepted.
If you have made an error on a “Recommended Opportunity”, click on “My Applications” and find the application you want to correct. Open the application, edit the information provided and then hit submit.
No, we do not require you to submit a transcript or enter any marks. Your grades from high school or previous years attended at Sask Polytech will be provided through a Sask Polytech student record.
First, check the name of the document you are uploading. It cannot have any punctuation marks or other symbols; otherwise, the system will reject the upload. The application system does not accept .html or .xhtml files. If this is not the case, please contact the Student Awards Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the "Add a New file" link to upload another document. Please indicate which document you would like to be reviewed.
No, you are not eligible to receive Sask Polytech awards. Please check with the Financial Aid Office at your college.
Once the deadline date is passed, the Student Awards Selection Committee will review and select the award recipient(s). Successful recipients will be notified by email within three to four weeks of application close date. The notification email will be sent to your preferred email address.
Note: Only successful recipients will be notified.
Due to privacy law we are unable to discuss student information gathered through the application process, nor disclose details of the selections.
You should return to your student awards application portal to check your application status. Review of the scholarship applications can take up to four weeks after the cycle’s closing date, and notifications will be sent out upon completion of the review process. If you are offered an award, you will receive an email notifying you. The email will be sent from email@example.com to the email address listed on your applicant record. Otherwise, check your student awards application portal for an updated application status.
Your general application will remain in effect for the academic year. If your situation changes, we ask that you update your general application accordingly during an open application period. Please verify your general application to ensure your information remains current.
If you have questions regarding the student awards application process, please contact the advancement coordinator at your campus or the student awards officer at the number listed below.
- Moose Jaw campus: 306-691-8511
- Prince Albert campus: 306-765-1769
- Regina campus: 306-775-7410
- Saskatoon campus: 306-659-4139
*(Hours: Tuesday - Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
You may also submit general inquiries by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.Your question will be answered in one to two business days.
Student Awards Officer, Advancement
Saskatchewan Polytechnic Regina Campus
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Following recipient selections
All award recipients will have the opportunity to complete a thank you to their donor. We also ask that you provide an appropriate photo of yourself to forward on to the donor.
Here are some examples of thank you letters:
- “I would like to let my donor know that I am extremely grateful, and that receiving this bursary will help me a great deal! I am so happy, and thankful. I am so eager to learn and put my all into this program, and to really cherish the opportunity I have been given here. I have had my heart so set on getting back to post-secondary school, and the only thing really holding me back was the financial concerns of not being sure how I could afford it; this bursary will help me so much, it is life changing what this education will be for me, and now without so much anxiety around the how I can just focus myself on studying and making myself and my donors proud. Thank you, a million times.”
- “Although I can’t seem to find the words to express how deeply I am touched to receive this award, I would like to thank “DONOR NAME” and family for the “AWARD NAME”. I am very honored and humbled to receive this award and it means the world to me that I was chosen to receive it. Your generosity will enable me to get a head start in repaying my student loan and I can’t thank you enough for that. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, this truly means so much to me.
With love and gratitude,”
- “Thank you so much for your support! I truly appreciate this and am honored that I was chosen for this award. This award will help me in continuing my studies to reach my goal of being a mental health and addictions counsellor. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for contributing to help me reach my goal. It's so nice that there are wonderful people like you out there that help students who are struggling financially. Without you, some of us wouldn't be able to continue our studies. I am truly grateful. Thank you again!”
Depending on the time of year you are selected for an award, the process and timing might differ.
- If you are selected during our summer awards cycle, we need to wait for your program to start to confirm your attendance before we release your student award. Funds will be released after September 30.
- If you were selected for an award during the academic year, the process takes about three to four weeks from the time you receive your notification email until the money will be deposited into your student account.
All awarded funds will first be placed on your student account and applied to any outstanding balances owing. If your account is paid in full or the award funds creates a surplus on your account, a cheque for the remaining balance will be mailed to your permanent address.
You can view the status of your award payment on your mySaskPolytech myFinances portal.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires all designated educational institutions in Canada to report each student’s Social Insurance Number (SIN) for Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202) and T4A issuance. All student award recipients will receive a T4A, and be required to report the award as income on your income tax. These forms can be accessed through your mySaskPolytech portal at the end of February for the previous calendar year.
Scholarships, bursaries and awards are considered income by the Saskatchewan Student Loans Program. There is an exemption for awards of up to $1,800 per study period (academic year). If you have received a student loan, it is your responsibility to report the value of your award to the Student Financial Assistance Branch of the Saskatchewan Ministry of Advanced Education.
You will be issued a T4A for the award you have won and will need to report this as income when you do your taxes. For more information, please contact the accounting department at your campus.