Status of a Canadian Institution
There are three types of legal status for Canadian institutions: recognized, authorized and registered.
Most public institutions are recognized. Most private institutions are registered. Some public and private institutions are authorized.
- Recognized—courses are eligible for transfer credit.
- Authorized—courses in some programs are eligible for transfer credit.
- Registered—courses are not eligible for transfer credit.
Find the legal status of a Canadian institution
- Go to the Directory of Educational Institutions in Canada.
- To find an institution's legal status, enter the school’s name, and click on the search button.
- Results show a map of Canada as shown below. On the bottom right, under legal status, you will see Recognized, Authorized or Registered.
If an institution you attended has registered status, consider applying for PLAR credit for what you learned.