International Student Updates

International students: Travel restrictions and exemptions

For the most up to date infomration visit Visitors, foreign workers and students - Travel restrictions in Canada –

To be able to enter Canada as a student, you must meet three requirements:

  1. You must qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller unless you’re a minor student (under the age of 18 years).
  2. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit.
  3. You must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI). If you’re under the age of 18 , see Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Designated learning institutions reopening to international students -

Saskatchewan Polytechnic is a designated learning institution that complies with provincial and federal guidelines. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Designated learning institutions reopening to international students -

Please refer to the Government of Canada’s website here for more information: COVID-19 Travel: Checklists for requirements and exemptions - Travel restrictions in Canada –

If travelling to Canada you must submit your travel information within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada. This is Mandatory. Use ArriveCAN: Submit travel information to enter Canada -

For questions or more information please contact

Please refer to the international FAQs for the latest information or speak with an advisor during a Zoom drop-in advising session.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

For more information regarding vaccinations for international students, please visit: or access link direct to pdf file at

Saskatchewan Health is not requiring international students to provide a Saskatchewan Health card.  International students can use another form of government issued ID (such as a passport).  International students without a health services card number can only be immunized by public health immunizers (i.e. cannot be vaccinated at pharmacies).  International students are required to call 1-833-SASKVAX (1-833-727-5829) to book their vaccine appointment.  The call centre is open 8 am to 9 pm, 7 days a week.

Students holding a valid study permit and who have been admitted to a DLI with an approved COVID readiness plan are able to enter Canada. See the IRCC update

You will need to have your acceptance letter for Sask Polytech, along with your personal ID and travel documents such as a passport, study permit or study permit approval letter. You will need to show proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.

Please review Visitors, foreign workers and students - Travel restrictions in Canada – for documentation required to travel to Canada at this time as an international student.

Ensure you review the Find out if you can enter Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – and Flying to Canada checklist. Watch for updates from us in your Saskatchewan Polytechnic email. Please complete the International Student Quarantine Planning Course on BrightSpace for detailed information.

During these uncertain times, airlines are limiting flight availability.  Flights may be limited to your home country and your home country may have border restrictions as well. This is an ever-changing situation, so it is imperative to check government websites before making a decision.

As an international student, you may be feeling many emotions including anxiety, confusion and homesickness. Please reach out to counselling services. Counselling staff are here to help. Email us at

All students are required to apply for a provincial health card. If you have not applied for a health card, do not delay. You need this card in order to be seen by a physician at a doctor’s office, walk in clinic, or hospital. Without this card, you will be charged a fee to see the doctor.

Please review our step by step international student Saskatchewan Health card guide.

There are other services which may not be covered by the Saskatchewan provincial health card, such as prescription costs, ambulance rides, emergency dental work, or vision coverage. It is imperative that students are familiar with their extended health care plans. International students are covered under the Sask Polytech Student Association plan. If you have opted out of this plan because you have coverage elsewhere, please be familiar with your personal plan and contact your provider should you require more coverage during these times.

The Canadian Government has translated helpful COVID-19 related tips into multiple languages. For further understanding in your home language, please visit their website.