Image Credit: Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission
Image Credit: Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission

SATCC recognizes Sask Polytech faculty with apprenticeship awards

Jamie Hilts posthumously receives the artisan award, recognizing his lifetime achievement  

Each year, the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission (SATCC)’s Apprenticeship Awards celebrate outstanding achievement within Saskatchewan’s apprenticeship system. Apprentices, new journeypersons, employers, instructors and other apprenticeship stakeholders are recognized for their exceptional achievements in apprenticeship and the skilled trades. This year faculty from the Sask Polytech community were recognized in three award categories.  

Jamie Hilts, former dean for the School of Mining, Energy & Manufacturing and School of Natural Resources & Built Environment, posthumously received the artisan award. Hilts passed away in June 2022. He was nominated by the SATCC. The artisan award is a lifetime achievement award that honors an individual for their outstanding personal commitment to apprenticeship and the skilled trades in Saskatchewan. The award was accepted by Jamie’s family members.  

“Jamie Hilts was larger than life,” SATCC CEO Jeff Ritter shares. “He made a positive, lasting impression on everyone he met. He was a true inspiration, a great leader, a visionary. We will always remember his incredible work.”

Sask Polytech’s Machinist faculty received the award for outstanding technical training team. The faculty were nominated by SATCC staff for demonstrating innovation, flexibility and enthusiasm in building a successful, responsive apprenticeship training program. Faculty members include Erwin Dyck, Emmet Jacklin, Curtis Morgan and Daniel Dyck.  

Michael Tremblay received the outstanding instructor award. Michael, a Carpentry instructor at Sask Polytech, was nominated by an apprentice for going above and beyond, and being fair, approachable and professional. 

“We value our important training partnership with the SATCC,” says Dr. Larry Rosia, Sask Polytech president and CEO. “Congratulations to our faculty members who were recognized for their innovation, passion and leadership. My sincere thanks for all you do to train apprentices and students in the skilled trades. As Jeff has noted, Jamie Hilts was an amazing leader and he is very much missed on campus. Jamie’s legacy lives on with this important recognition.”  

"The Apprenticeship Award recipients are champions, helping to build and execute a relevant, responsive apprenticeship and certification system, one that supports our province's growth and meets the needs of Saskatchewan citizens," SATCC board chair Drew Tiefenbach says. "On behalf of the SATCC and Commission Board of Directors, congratulations on your terrific achievements."  

Sask Polytech is a platinum sponsor for the SATCC 22nd Annual Apprenticeship Awards. The awards were presented at the Conexus Arts Centre in Regina on November 4, 2022.  Congratulations to all of the award recipients.  

The SATCC administers the apprenticeship and trade certification system in Saskatchewan. Apprenticeship is a post-secondary education pathway in which 85 per cent of the learning happens on the job. The other 15 per cent happens in a classroom setting and is referred to as technical training. Institutions such as Saskatchewan Polytechnic are contracted by the SATCC to provide apprenticeship technical training across the province. Saskatchewan Polytechnic is the SATCC’s largest training provider.