Saskatchewan Polytechnic's mobile training labs take Industrial/Trades training students in rural, remote and Northern communities. Each lab is a tractor-trailer unit that expands to provide 1,100 square feet of shop space.
Each lab can accommodate up to 12 students at a time. Training sessions last seven to 20 weeks, depending on the program. The three mobile labs deliver practical, hands-on training for technical training and a variety of trades and programs. Training is available for a number of trades.
The mobile training initiative is an example of Sask Polytech's industry-leading innovation in the field of trades training. It is made possible by a public and private partnership in response to identified and emerging industry training needs. The mobile labs are:
- Increasing accessibility for people unable to attend training in urban centres
- Strengthening communities by providing training closer to industry
- Supporting people from diverse cultural backgrounds in their home communities
- Increasing participation of Indigenous students
- Facilitating delivery of nationally accredited training providing on-site, work-based training opportunities