Seven study tips for success
Finals season can be stressful. So many deadlines, so many exams, so many projects — it can be hard to see a way through to the end. But with a little forethought and some careful planning you can survive the season and cultivate success along the way.
Review this list of tips from Student Services to prepare for final assignments and exams:
1. SCHEDULE YOUR TIME
- Break tasks into smaller more manageable chunks.
- Use a timer to begin and end study breaks. Study for 25 minutes and then take a five minute break!
- Use reverse planning: start with your end goal and work your way backwards to develop a timeline and action plan.
2. STUDY OUT LOUD
- Read your text book, notes or study cards out loud. It’s harder to daydream when your voice is working!
- Hearing information increases learning.
- Explain what you are studying out loud, to yourself or a study buddy, without looking at any study materials.
3. TAKE ACTIVE STUDY BREAKS
- Go for a walk.
- Throw in a load of laundry.
- Play with your children or pets.
4. ADD VARIETY TO YOUR STUDY SESSIONS
- Vary the order in which you review study materials.
- Spend more time on non-mastered content.
- Utilize flashcards to aid in memorization of new or unfamiliar terminology.
5. CREATE AN OPTIMAL ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR STUDY TIME
- Study in a quiet space free of distractions with good lighting.
- Turn off your social media notifications.
- Have everything you need on hand including lots of water!
6. TARGET THE FUNDAMENTALS
7. ASK FOR HELP
- Study with classmates.
- Access academic supports in Learning Services.
- Put chores on hold or ask someone to help with them.
Learning Services is here to help! For one-on-one help visit Learning Services in person!
|Moose Jaw campus||Room 2.114|
|Regina campus||Room 207.12 (located in the library)|
|Saskatoon campus||Room 121, Library and Avenue W Rm 2213|
|Prince Albert campus||
Room A100 (located in the library)
Student Services also has events throughout the month of December to help students with stress and finals. Visit www.saskpolytech.ca/events to see what is happening on your campus!