Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) Testing
CWB testing is available at Saskatchewan Polytechnic in Prince Albert, Regina and Saskatoon.
In Prince Albert testing occurs once a month from September to June.
In Regina, testing occurs on the second Friday of each month, from September to June*.
In Saskatoon, testing occurs once a month from September to June*.
*exceptions may apply
For more information contact:
Saskatchewan Polytechnic, Prince Albert Campus, Technical Building
1100 15th St E.
Prince Albert S6V 7S4
306-765-1718 or 306-765-1563
Saskatchewan Polytechnic Saskatoon Campus, Idylwyld Dr
1130 Idylwyld Dr. and 33rd Street
Saskatoon SK S7K 3R5
306-765-1718 or 306-765-1563
SMAW All Position Test
- Test is on two 3/8" by 6" long plate with a ¼" x 2" x 6- 8" backing strip.
- 1/8" E7018 electrode is used for all positions.
- Tacking is done with the GMAW process. Preferred tacking: 4 tacks on back, 4 on backing bar end, face side. Max tack length 10mm.
- Make sure there is no gap to the backing bar.
- Flat, vertical and overhead require a ½" gap while horizontal is only 5/16"
- There will be two tie-ins at 1 ½" from each edge. The inspector will mark out. You must show your stops and starts before proceeding.
- The horizontal position has one tie-in only, on the top bevel side.
- Your direction of welding can change throughout the coupon except in the vertical position. It must all be done in a vertical up position.
- Stringer beads only. The vertical cap only can be weaved.
- All welding and cleaning is done in position.
- No set amount of passes required for filling.
- You have 45 minutes to weld each coupon.
- No grinding is permitted.
- Power buffers, chisels, picks, chipping hammers and wire brushes are all acceptable cleaning methods.
- All caps must pass visual inspection. No more than 1/8" exceeding the base material in height and no more than a ¼" in width of the original opening.
- An individual 1/8" defect or greater is considered a failure.
- Porosity may result in a failure.
- Do not over grind. It is preferable to leave a little extra than take too much.
- Gouging should not remove welded material.
- Radius edges of each coupon with the grinder before bending.
- If a coupon fails, a retest of that position may be granted at examiners discretion.
- Once coupons have received a pass they will go into the scrap bin. No loitering especially around the bend test area! Do not retrieve passed coupons from scrap bin.
- Spray transfer recommended.
- Same test criteria as SMAW procedures.
- Combination flat groove, horizontal fillet is common transferable test.
- Volts are approximately 24-27 with a wire speed of approximately 510-525.
- Must have SMAW all position ticket, no exceptions even for pressure tickets.
- After 2 years a check test can be done instead of doing all positions.
- All information for the basic test still applies.
- Coupon has ½" gap and is done in vertical and overhead positions.
- Vertical up root is done on the square side with a tie in.
- Overhead root is done on the bevel side with a tie in.
- Remaining part of coupon is all done in the overhead position.
- If a fracture exceeding 1/8 is present or coupon is considered a fail both vertical and overhead plates must be completed.