Computer Systems Technology (Part-time studies)School of Information and Communications Technology Diploma
This program is also available on campus. For more information visit the program page.
Computer systems technologists solve computer-related issues for businesses, government agencies, utilities, law enforcement agencies, health services providers, educational institutions and more. It’s a career that demands a unique blend of skills—computer literacy, technical know-how and communications savvy—but also lets you specialize in areas that interest you the most, including programming, software design, mobile application programming, data communications and web design.
The two-year Computer Systems Technology diploma is available full time at Saskatchewan Polytechnic Saskatoon campus, with a number of courses also available through distance and/or continuing education. Comprehensive technical training gives you a solid foundation of theory and hands-on lab practice in:
- designing, installing and managing local area networks
- developing computer programs in various programming languages
- developing interactive web pages with multimedia components
- developing proficiency in several common computer application packages
- installing and configuring computer hardware and software
- performing systems analysis and design
- programming apps for mobile devices (smart phones, tablets, etc.)
- providing end-user technical support services
- troubleshooting and repairing hardware problems
You’ll also learn business principles, project management and communication skills—attributes potential employers look for when hiring for IT personnel.
Diploma to Degree
Transfer agreements with the University of Saskatchewan, University of Regina and University of Lethbridge let you ladder into a computer science degree with two more years of study. It’s a great way to expand your career horizons, while leaving the door open to earn a living with your diploma.
Courses currently offered through part-time studies
Year 1 - Semester 1Organizational Behaviour (ADMN-220CE)
Data Communications and Networking 1 (CNET-184CE)
Data and Document Management (COAP-173CE)
Operating Systems (COOS-181CE)
Introduction to Programming (COSC-180CE)
Web Site Development (CWEB-180CE)