Business (Part-time studies)School of Business Certificate
Business encompasses many disciplines. Opportunities are plentiful, but you need to understand the concepts, principles and terminology of accounting, economics, marketing and more. Saskatchewan Polytechnic’s Business certificate program gives you this solid foundation.
It takes personal initiative to succeed in the business world; self-starters are always in demand. You’ll also need good organizational and people skills, the ability to think on your feet and a willingness to take on leadership challenges.
The one-year Business certificate program prepares you for a wide variety of entry-level positions. It is offered full time at Saskatchewan Polytechnic Prince Albert and Saskatoon campuses.
You can also take the courses through Continuing Education. If you take courses through Continuing Education, you are not required to apply for admission or meet the requirements. Once you have successfully completed all the courses in the program, simply apply to graduate.
The program provides a well-rounded business foundation. You'll learn core business concepts, including accounting, finance, management, computers, marketing, human resources, insurance and more.
Job-Ready at Graduation
Your Saskatchewan Polytechnic classroom mirrors a business environment. Business attire is expected. You'll work individually and in teams. You'll turn classroom friendships into a professional network. You'll learn by doing. This means, for example, that you'll learn about Microsoft Office by using it in class, about business communications by writing reports and about marketing by developing a marketing plan.
1 Year to a Diploma
The generalist Business certificate program gives you the skills you need to jump into the workforce. You also have the option of taking one more year to earn a specialized Business diploma in accountancy, financial services, human resources, insurance, management or marketing.
You can apply to transfer some of your Business courses to degree programs at Briercrest College and Seminary, the University of Regina, University of Lethbridge and University Canada West.
- Each year 25 students are accepted in Prince Albert and 72 students are accepted in Saskatoon.
- Students will experience project work, simulations and lectures.
- Class hours are 8:30 a.m. - 3:20 p.m. daily. As a student, you will complete approximately 20 hours of homework each week outside of class time. Time management skills are important.
Part-time Business Certificate Students
- You must take one of the following two accounting electives: ACCT 125 or ACCT 225
- If you wish to pursue the Business Accountancy specialty diploma, you must take ACCT 125 in order to meet pre-requisites for most second year Accountancy courses
- You must take one of the following three business electives: ACCT 136, FIN 100 or INS 100
- If you wish to pursue the Business Accountancy specialty diploma, you must take ACCT 136 in order to graduate
Courses currently offered through part-time studies
Semester 1Introductory Financial Accounting 1 (ACCT-122CE)
Organizational Behaviour (ADMN-220CE)
Business Communications (BCOM-105CE)
Information Systems (COMP-120CE)
Semester 2Introductory Financial Accounting 2 (ACCT-125CE)
Automated Accounting (ACCT-136CE)
Managerial Accounting (ACCT-225CE)
Introduction to Human Resource Management (HR-120CE)
Commercial Law (LAW-220CE)
Business Mathematics (MATH-139CE)