Accessibility Services Frequently Asked Questions

Connect with your course instructor, as he or she may give you feedback and suggestions to improve your academic performance.

Saskatchewan Polytechnic main campuses have a Learning Services Department that offers assistance to students in study skills, test taking, essay writing, math and science.

If you are a high school student, applying to a Saskatchewan Polytechnic program and you suspect that you may have a learning disability, contact your school guidance counsellor or principal about the possibility of obtaining an assessment.

If you are an adult who is applying to attend a Saskatchewan Polytechnic program, contact one of the following:

  1. Saskatchewan College of Psychologists
  2. Learning Disabilities Association of Saskatchewan
  3. Counselling Assessment Intervention & Research Services

If you are obtaining an assessment from the above agencies, there may be a fee.

If you are already enrolled in a Saskatchewan Polytechnic program, please make an appointment to see a Accessibility Services counsellor to discuss the possibility of completing an assessment.

Several community agencies provide advocacy, funding and other support services to individuals with disabilities. Agencies include:

  • CanSask Career and Employment Services
  • Learning Disabilities Association of Saskatchewan
  • Saskatchewan Acquired Brain Injury Association
  • Saskatchewan Association of Community Living
  • Saskatchewan Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
  • Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board
  • Spinal Cord Injury Saskatchewan
  • The Canadian National Institute for the Blind

To ensure you receive the maximum support available and allow for time to explore funding options, it is recommended that you make contact with the agency relating to your disability prior to applying to a Saskatchewan Polytechnic program.

This depends on your training area. Each profession sets out the requirements to become licensed or certified for employment. Typically an individual needs to apply to the governing agency at least 60 to 90 days in advance of the certification exam in order to request an accommodation.

CSMLS governs the standards for medical lab professionals, etc.

Apprentices must contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship Commission to apply for accommodations on journeyperson exams.

Initially you should contact the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission to provide them with documentation verifying your disability and your need for accommodations.

Next, contact the Accessibility Services counsellor at the campus where you are training. The counsellor requires either a copy of your disability documentation or an Accommodation Authorization from the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission to assist in making arrangements for the appropriate accommodations.

If you suspect a learning disability while involved in your apprenticeship training, but do not have any documentation verifying this, you can contact the Accessibility Services counsellor at your campus for screening and possible access to accommodations during your present level of training.

In order to access accommodations during your next level of training, you must agree to have an assessment to verify a disability conducted by the Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission assessor.

The Government of Saskatchewan Student Financial Assistance Branch provides information to complete a Saskatchewan Student Loan application at

If you need specific assistance in completing the necessary documentation, you may want to contact the advocacy agency specific to your disability.

Students with disabilities may apply for any scholarship or bursary available to all students at Saskatchewan Polytechnic.

You would need to discuss potential attendance problems due to a disability with your program head at the start of your program. Attendance is considered a course requirement and is tracked by instructors in many programs. Class attendance that falls below 90% may put you in jeopardy of being discontinued from the program. Advance alerts provided by you to instructors and program heads, as well as medical documentation for absences, may be required. If you are aware that a planned surgery may interfere with attendance, please discuss this with your program head ahead of time. As Saskatchewan Polytechnic courses are only offered at specific times of the year, extended absences due to illness or surgery may require returning the following year to continue in your particular program of studies. Good attendance and punctuality are expected of all students.