Advanced Care Paramedic (Part-time studies)School of Health Sciences Diploma
If you're a primary care paramedic who wants to enhance your skills, career mobility and earning power, Saskatchewan Polytechnic's nationally recognized Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) program will be of interest to you. More in-depth knowledge and training means you'll be able to administer a greater range of medications and perform life-saving interventions.
The Advanced Care Paramedic program also positions you for leadership roles in a growing number of settings. ACPs are in high demand in traditional emergency medical services, collaborative emergency centres, and industrial and community settings.
Advanced Care Paramedic is a two-year diploma program offered through Saskatchewan Polytechnic Saskatoon campus and Saskatchewan Polytechnic Regina campus. The program builds on the Primary Care Paramedic program. You’ll get advanced training in recognizing and managing medical and trauma emergencies, particularly neonatal, pediatric and geriatric. You’ll focus on:
- anatomy, pathophysiology, physiology, pharmacology
- body system assessments
- critical thinking and decision making
- certifications in
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Advanced International Trauma Life Support (ITLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Lab and Simulation Training - You’ll use Saskatchewan Polytechnic’s state-of-the-art lab and high-fidelity simulation facilities to apply your in-depth knowledge to real-world scenarios.
- Field Practicums – You’ll work with an ACP preceptor in two supervised field practicums to hone your critical thinking and decision-making skills, and to strengthen your delegation and leadership skills.
- Clinical Practicums – Hone your assessment, management and communication skills during two hospital-based practicums. You’ll get real-world experience in specialized areas, including emergency departments, operating rooms, and labour and delivery.