Frequently Asked Questions1. What is transfer credit?
- If you have not already done so, request that an official transcript of your previous marks be sent directly to Saskatchewan Polytechnic Registration Services at the campus you plan on attending BEFORE the start date of your program.
- Complete the application form which is available at the following link: http://saskpolytech.ca/admissions/resources/transfer-credit.aspx, or from Saskatchewan Polytechnic Registration Services. Once you have completed the pertinent sections please submit the form to Registration Services.
- Registration Services will inform you if the transfer credit you have requested: 1) can be awarded 2) is denied or 3) needs to be assessed by a faculty member.
If transfer credit can be awarded, Registration Services will inform you and make the entry on your academic record. You will also be informed if your request is denied. However, if faculty must assess your request you must compile and submit to Registration Services the following information about the course(s) you previously took:
- a calendar description of the course(s),
- the course syllabus or course outline which includes, if applicable, the learning outcomes of the course, course prerequisites, the length and/or duration of course, required textbooks and reading lists, assessment tools and other required resource material required.
If you do not have this course information you will have to request it from the sending institution and/or your previous professor/instructor. Registration Services will then send this course information and the Transfer Credit Request Form to the appropriate faculty member for an assessment of equivalency for transfer credit.
If the course from the sending post-secondary institution matches the vast majority of the content and learning outcomes of the Saskatchewan Polytechnic course, and if the course was taken within the stipulated time frame (usually within five years), the course will likely be granted transfer credit.
Saskatchewan Polytechnic does not charge a fee for applying for transfer credit. However the sending institution may charge a fee for issuing an official transcript and having it sent to Saskatchewan Polytechnic.
Transfer credits are recorded as ‘TC’ on your official transcript and will not show up as a grade on the Saskatchewan Polytechnic student portal. Registration Services will email the completed Transfer Credit request form to your Saskatchewan Polytechnic email account.
Saskatchewan Polytechnic does not grant transfer credit when:
- a course does not meet most of the Saskatchewan Polytechnic course requirements
- a course differs sufficiently so that students have not acquired the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in more advanced Saskatchewan Polytechnic courses.
- a course is not taught at the appropriate post-secondary level and
- a course is not applicable to any credential being sought.
Note: If the course does not provide the required skills and knowledge to grant transfer credit then it may be used by you as a component of a PLAR (Prior Learning and Recognition) assessment. The PLAR assessment would incorporate your academic course along with other methods of learning to provide evidence of the learning required to achieve a specific course credit.
- You must have achieved a passing grade for the course which you are requesting an assessment for transfer credit.
- The course must have been taken within the past five years.
- Your official transcripts must have been sent directly to Saskatchewan Polytechnic Registration Services prior to the start date of your program.
- You must have completed and submitted Saskatchewan Polytechnic Credit Request form to Saskatchewan Polytechnic Registration Services.
- If your request requires faculty assessment, you will also have to submit a course information package to Registration Services which is described in detail above.
Once all of the required documentation is received the transfer credit assessment process should take no longer than 2 weeks.